Portrait Photography - Available light tutorial (feedback welcome!)

PhotoandGrime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photoandgrime.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Hey everybody :). I recently got requested to create a lighting tutorial, so I shot one while I was on vacation, and thought I'd share :).

It's my second lighting tutorial. I was wondering if my English is easy enough to follow (since I'm Dutch, and English is not my native language),
and if the video is easy to follow. Any tips for future videos are welcome, since I'm planning to create more because I keep getting requests about techniques.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought your english was fine, well done!

I thought the part about holding the hand up and shading the lens was a weak spot--a few words seem to be missing from that section's instructions; a simpler solution is to suggest putting the camera in manual mode, approaching close to the subject, and taking a "close-up meter reading". That has been the standard method for decades. Taking a close-up meter reading can also be done in automatic metering modes, and the photographer can lock in the reading using the autoexposure lock button. Overall though, I thought your video was okay.

Speaking of hands, though, I thought the "have her hold her hand up to shade her face" was pure gold. It's probably basic stuff, but it's something I didn't know and wouldn't have thought of.

I thought the part about holding the hand up and shading the lens was a weak spot--a few words seem to be missing from that section's instructions; a simpler solution is to suggest putting the camera in manual mode, approaching close to the subject, and taking a "close-up meter reading". That has been the standard method for decades. Taking a close-up meter reading can also be done in automatic metering modes, and the photographer can lock in the reading using the autoexposure lock button. Overall though, I thought your video was okay.

Thanks for your good feedback! I considered mentioning that, but since I didn't do it while shooting, and first took a picture from the side without the sunlight hitting the camera to check my settings, I thought it would be 'too much info without visual examples/proof'. I'll definitely make sure to plan ahead better while shooting so I have time to record more tutorial info. Shooting during sunrise is such a marathon if you want to record everything while the light is still good.

Speaking of hands, though, I thought the "have her hold her hand up to shade her face" was pure gold. It's probably basic stuff, but it's something I didn't know and wouldn't have thought of.
I thought your english was fine, well done!
Thank you :)!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back