Portrait Photography - In what segment of a session do you find the best shots?

GeorgieGirl

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have noticed for a portrait session the images that I find are the best one of the day are the ones that are taken earliest in the session. For example, if I have a single subject and spend an hour with three segments of poses, the best captures for both the subject and myself are the ones in the first 15 minutes or so.

Is this a typical thing for everyone?

Now I never done a portrait session, but I'm not surprised that your best shots are in the beginning. Not only is the subject (hopefully) excited to start but they really wanna be there and capture the moments. But once the shoot starts dragging on, the subject will eventually wanna just get it done and over with. Less photogenic, doesn't wanna do many multiple poses, etc.

Not for me. On my most recent the very last three images were the best; the one prior they happened in the middle of the session.

hmmm, for me I feel like they're scattered..
I'll find some I like at the beginning, middle and end.
once though I did experience a loss of interest with a 3 year old towards the middle but we moved locations(to a different park) and she got a burst of energy!

Usually from the middle to the end of a session, because both myself and the subject were usually more in tune, and comfortable with, my posing directions.

I was always, always, very cognizant of a subjects personal space, and would warn them if I was going to invade it, why I was going to invade it, and how I was going to invade it, before I did.

3/4 into the shoot. The first few shots are generally just to get a feel for the light and to loosen the subject.

Scattered but rarely in the beginning.

On every shoot ,I tell the client "OK ,that is a rap " then start putting up my gear . at that point I will ask "OH ,Hey , I have an idea .you want to try ................" that last set is always the best . works every time .

I think about half way through to the three-quarters through portion is where the absolute best stuff happens. One never knows however. After a session has gone on for a good while, I find there can be some "camera fatigue", and when that happens, it's time to either change things up, or to quit shooting.

Depends on the subject and how quickly they relax in front of the camera, I have found that the best have happened in the first 5 minutes with some, and others it happens 20 minutes in, or after a clothes change. When the subject starts to get tired, and the poses start to look too set up, it's always time to pull the plug, as it will show in the images.

1/2 way in. As already mentioned, both the model and photog are more comfortable or intune and that is reflected in the image.

I have noticed for a portrait session the images that I find are the best one of the day are the ones that are taken earliest in the session. For example, if I have a single subject and spend an hour with three segments of poses, the best captures for both the subject and myself are the ones in the first 15 minutes or so.

Is this a typical thing for everyone?

Why do you think this?

Typically my shots come out better as we progress forward. I get a feel for the models poses and what setting works best for them. I dont do studio work so I am out and about and the setting is subject to change if I dont like how things are meshing.

Most of my decent photos seem to come from the first minute of the shoot. After that they start complaining that the neck clamp is too tight, or the fumes are giving them a headache or some whiny nonsense like that.

/\ lol

I was just thinking about this the other day, going thru some of my shoots in my head trying to determine where my best shots were and for me it seemed to vary. some were near the beginning, some were near the end. with location changes and lighting changes it can occur at anytime I think.

I also find that it is different for each person. Do they arrive with a conscious or sub-conscious notion of 'good' poses that they need to run through before they forget to pose or get fed up with posing - so later can be better? How easily do they relax in front of the camera? Sometimes I get good pictures very early while they think I am just taking the Fujiroids for checking the exposure, because they are ignoring both me and the large camera beside me.

Sooner and later:

15690756-lg.jpg

15724872-md.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back