Portrait Photography - Tips/Tricks?

Village Idiot said:
Why not? If you have free models that realize that you're learning, I say that's the best time to try out the lighting.

Exactly the purpose of this endeavor.

I'd like to try outdoor portraits with flash.
What are the good and cheap equipments needed? Can I use something like the Yongnuo YN560? I don't know about the stands, receiver/transmitter, umbrella/softbox?

(off-topic) Using flash for snowboard shots, should I have some friends hold speedlights?

I'd like to try outdoor portraits with flash.
What are the good and cheap equipments needed? Can I use something like the Yongnuo YN560? I don't know about the stands, receiver/transmitter, umbrella/softbox?

(off-topic) Using flash for snowboard shots, should I have some friends hold speedlights?

Amazon.com: StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers: Camera & Photo

You would get something like this, that would allow you to trigger 2 flashes that are mounted elsewhere (not on your camera); most likely mounted on stands with umbrellas on them, that would bounce/soften the light. Google up the difference between softbox/umbrella lighting - the difference lies in the shadows cast by the light. As for which flash you use, as long as the quality is decent I dont see any problem there. Umbrella Lighting Kits are all over amazon for a couple hundred dollars, sometimes cheaper (whatever fits your budget).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Start here...
The Rules Of Good Portraiture

Advice from a worldclass portrait photographer. I would link to a similar thread on this forum, but there just isn't one as good as that.

Is that link a joke? That is some sad LifeTouch ish. In my humble opinion most of it is really impractical unless you're shooting school portraits or something with identical posing and three point lighting in every shot.

Here are some of my basic ground rules, in relative order of importance:

Prep
  1. Study your setting carefully.
  2. You can't fix bad hair, clothes, or makeup in post. You can only accentuate what's good to begin with.

Posing
  1. The less experienced your subject is at modeling, the more comfortable they need to be while shooting. That means no exaggerated or tricky posing.
  2. Never do anything that makes part of a model's body appear bigger than it is in real life. Especially if you are shooting at a shallower DOF, try to get most of the model's body equidistant from the lens. Otherwise, step back and shoot with a longer focal-length lens; compressing the DOF helps avoid the problem.
  3. As a corollary to the above, don't shoot your subject dead-on unless he or she is very thin. Same goes for shooting them facing mostly sideways.
  4. With your model's permission, it's OK to pause and physically move them. Inexperienced models can have a hard time understanding how to act on how you're telling them to position themselves. Likewise, photographers who are inexperienced at telling models how to position themselves can be bad at communicating what they want. It can be easiest just to step in and move your subject.

Perspective
  1. No funny angles. Ever.
  2. Avoid shooting from high above or below unless you know what you're doing.

Lighting
  1. Don't mix light temperatures.
  2. Make sure there's enough light on the hair. Hair is arguably the hardest thing to touch up in post, and it's immensely more difficult if you don't give yourself enough to work with.
  3. If you are using multiple lights, you have to think in ratios. No ifs, ands, or buts.

No, it's not a joke, and thousands of people have found it helpful. As far as your humble opinion, I happen to believe it is incorrect. Many of those 'rules' are invaluable, and while one doesn't have to sit there and follow every one of them or print out a checklist, I believe the reasons for the rules should be understood by all portrait photographers.
Start here...
The Rules Of Good Portraiture

Advice from a worldclass portrait photographer. I would link to a similar thread on this forum, but there just isn't one as good as that.

Is that link a joke? That is some sad LifeTouch ish. In my humble opinion most of it is really impractical unless you're shooting school portraits or something with identical posing and three point lighting in every shot.

Fair enough. I think they're generally quite narrow and obviously geared toward photographers who work in portrait mills (perhaps unknowingly). That style of photography has it's own set of weirdo rules that are not necessarily applicable to all portraiture in general.

Last edited:
Well I'm a total noob in portraiture, but I've found good planning the most helpful thing. Having too many ideas is always better than having just a few or none at all. Most of those ideas probably won't work in reality and you probably will come up with some new stuff on the go, but it's always good (at least for me) to have some image in your head of what you want in the end.
And the thing that has helped me a lot in the planning part, is studying other photographers' portraits; the mood, the angle, the post work, the poses, the styling & make-up etc. Trying to simulate stuff like these that you like in someone else's work is a great way to learn, as long as you don't try to be a total copycat.
I've only shot my friends, so that helps keeping things relaxed and comfortable on both sides of the camera. Some simple and relevant props can help with posing, especially if the model is inexperienced.

Look for a simple distraction free background such as evergreen trees, a stone wall, fence row, etc. Place you subject 5-10' in front of it, tell a few jokes, relax and snap away. If the background is brighter than the subject, meter for that and use your flash for fill in. Dial down the flash exposure if using on-camera flash to what you need. Have fun and enjoy learning, most likely your subjects will love the pictures and you will take tons of them before you realize. Someone creative can find a doorway and use up their flash card in that one location.
Do be prepared with what kind of poses you'd like to see even if you take a cheat sheet, they may have a few of their own.
Good luck and post the shots.:thumbup:

Look for a simple distraction free background such as evergreen trees, a stone wall, fence row, etc. Place you subject 5-10' in front of it, tell a few jokes, relax and snap away. If the background is brighter than the subject, meter for that and use your flash for fill in. Dial down the flash exposure if using on-camera flash to what you need. Have fun and enjoy learning, most likely your subjects will love the pictures and you will take tons of them before you realize. Someone creative can find a doorway and use up their flash card in that one location.
Do be prepared with what kind of poses you'd like to see even if you take a cheat sheet, they may have a few of their own.
Good luck and post the shots.:thumbup:

Will do! Got a Sb600, and have been reading up on [Strobist] lighting.. going to get a set of radio triggers / some umbrellas/gel's and shoot over the winter break. I have at least 3 people who are willing to be free models for me, so I will shoot them when I get my materials together fully!

Fair enough. I think they're generally quite narrow and obviously geared toward photographers who work in portrait mills (perhaps unknowingly). That style of photography has it's own set of weirdo rules that are not necessarily applicable to all portraiture in general.

It's not a joke and are not strict "rules". Just guidelines, built over many years, that can help a photographer pose and light an individual. These are great starting points that one can use to build upon.

Here are some more "rules" as well....

Facial Analysis in Fine Portraiture- Corrective Techniques

It's not about "rules". It's about creating an image of your client, how you pose and light your client will directly effect the image they are purchasing from you. So you as a photographer should know some "rules" or "guidelines" that will help you in that venture.

Yes these are geared toward your "classic" and "senior" portrait photographers. Take a peek in any fashion magazine after reading those and you'll notice, although they break many "rules", they are always following at least a few of them to balance things out.

any pics yet?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back