Portrait Session - miniature

Speed edit from Renee Robyn. She has a class on Creative Live

For the camera I wanted the dials all in focus because I wasn't sure where I would put the child on the camera

Sounds like a logical approach, there's so many little things that you have to consider in a composite.

One thing to remember with any blurring post you have to be careful to separate the subject from the background, and fill that area with content aware fill so the background is continuous, otherwise you'll see some halos around your subject. Also I use a mask on the subject rather then a cutout, as you can then use the Blur Tool on the mask edge to soften and ease the edge of the mask. That way your elements don't appear cutout but a part of the image.

Last edited:
She looks older than 3! Sometimes they do look older I think in photos, but maybe she's not a young 3 anymore!

I think yours are better than Renee whoever... that to me is very heavy handed. Even if it's fantasy, what's the point of having a subject in a field of lovely golden grasses if you're going to obscure it in fog/mist? Or if that background was shopped in, why use that if it isn't going to show well? Some of what I've seen on Creative Live seems good and a good bit of it is pretty lousy. That one seems overdone.

Cropping it might help, that is a challenging background with the lines to try to get them placed; them being a bit larger by there being less background might be better, they might show up more.

You have such good ideas with the miniatures with kids or dogs, trust your instincts with the editing so you can keep getting good results as you always do.

She looks older than 3! Sometimes they do look older I think in photos, but maybe she's not a young 3 anymore!

I think yours are better than Renee whoever... that to me is very heavy handed. Even if it's fantasy, what's the point of having a subject in a field of lovely golden grasses if you're going to obscure it in fog/mist? Or if that background was shopped in, why use that if it isn't going to show well? Some of what I've seen on Creative Live seems good and a good bit of it is pretty lousy. That one seems overdone.

Cropping it might help, that is a challenging background with the lines to try to get them placed; them being a bit larger by there being less background might be better, they might show up more.

You have such good ideas with the miniatures with kids or dogs, trust your instincts with the editing so you can keep getting good results as you always do.

There is a big Fantasy group on Flickr. Dark moody stuff like Renee's. I'd like to try that route if I can find a young adult to pose. Her class on Creative Live had some very good PS tips. The other class I took had tips on masking with hair and he went into perspective quite a bit. I like the Creative Live classes to fast forward over parts or go back to re watch.

The kids are small in the photo. I may crop tighter before I print.

Love it. So much fun making great memories.

Most reactions

Back