I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is the first one from a session with my niece. Background is a bed sheet taped to the wall above the sofa. Flash is hand held off camera. Cropping & USM in Photoshop. Comments welcome.

Red-Dress-01.jpg

She's beeeaautiful!!!! :) The lighting seems a tad harsh, though. Do you have any more you can share with us?

Yeah, just a tad hot on the lighting, Mike....she's a honey!! :D I'm with Corry, I'd like to see some more!

Beautiful baby. I'm with the others that the lighting seems a bit harsh. That red would look stunning against a black background as well! She's got gorgeous eyes, they beg for a close up! I love her expression and like Corry and Terri it would be great to see more from this shoot!

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the lighting is harsh...I need to rig up a diffuser for my flash. I usually tape some tissue over it when shooting my niece, but I didn't think it would be necessary while holding the flash off-camera.

Here are a few more.

Red-Dress-02.jpg

Red-Dress-03.jpg

Red-Dress-04.jpg

A second light source will help too... even a reflector. Remember, in photography we make a record of light. So... no light on the shadow side = no record.

Nice, bright eyes! That really does it for me!

Thanks for sharing.

-Pete Christie

Thanks Pete,

Yes, the first thing I realized when I got the photos back from the lab was that I should have use another light source. I was thinking of a reflector but didn't get my stuff together and forgot about it when the time came.

I have another flash with an optical slave trigger but I don't have a flash meter so I'm reluctant to use it. Man....I really need to move to digital.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back