Portrait shoot in Atlanta - C&C Welcome!

kylehess10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kylehessphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot these this past Saturday in various areas in Atlanta including Bankhead, Cabbagetown, & Little Five Points. C&C Welcome!!

5130716562_00148d1bc1_b.jpg

5130723666_229ae6bf0a_b.jpg

5130070073_c1ffe89a60_b.jpg

5130692792_6ec96fb0b2_b.jpg

5 I tried to take this shot without anybody in the background but it was taken on a busy street so it was almost impossible but I did my best

5130084801_04aed9d602_b.jpg

Ill give it a whack...

1. The shine on her face is REALLY bugging me. My eyes immediately were drawn to it like a magnet. The rest of it looks OK and I think you would have a good image on your hands with a little more processing.

2. Looks to me like you were shooting still fairly close to midday. The light is VERY hard here and just doesnt do much for someone with black hair, in a black dress. A couple\few hours later in the day would have helped this photo immensely! The composition looks good as does the pose.

3. Great pose...very natural and works well with your subject. She could have used just a touch of fill light on the neckline and left side of her hair to bring out the details a little more...also seems to be a warm cast to this photo and might have some WB issues. Both easily fixable in post.

4. Just say no to selective coloring!! Your subject was the girl...not the rose. She looks really nice in this photo and the attention should be drawn to her. ;)

5. Great exposure, color and sharpness but in this one, her pose looks unnatural and forced. To me, she looks like shes akwardly hanging on a tree trunk waiting for you to snap a picture. More extension of her arm letting her hang naturally from it or having her lean up against it would have worked much better here IMO.

Few issues...not a bad set in any way and I think you would have some really good images here with a little more work on your processing.

I tried to take this shot without anybody in the background but it was taken on a busy street so it was almost impossible but I did my best

5130084801_04aed9d602_b.jpg

Well, that guy's leg and red colored Sperry Topsider shoe make this a massive fail....and that big, huge logo right on her dress? Looks bad.

In the early photos, the way your have exposed and processed these looks bad; the highlights are grossly over-exposed and have that sickly, yellow, over-exposed, recovered blown highlights shot on a d-slr look to them...the awful lighting the early shots were made in is just unflattering...every time I see highlights that have shifted to the yellow, I realize that the photographer did not know how to properly expose the scene.

Not sure why you call those portraits as the background in enough of them is overwhelming the subject. You may want a nice, interesting background but the subject has to remain the central focus point.

Next, your PP is all over the place so that we have no idea what this person's skin looks like. No racism here, I would say the same thing about a white girl who looks like a ghost in one shot and looks like she just came out of the tanning booth in the next one.

Next, does she really want to be seen as a sex thing? That's what I get out of your shots and, again, it doesn't convey the idea of portraits. If the shots have another reason to be, fine, but portraits, come oooooooooooooon.

1/ could have been much better if she'd been wearing white cotton panties. Would be much sexier.

2/ we seem to be emphasizing her rear end. It is a lovely one but that hardly makes it a portrait to me.

3/ The pose makes it more of a sexy shot that a portrait.

4/ get rid of the rose (and the selective coloring) and you would have a nice portrait

5/ could also have been a nice portrait if you had gone along with the crowd (use it in some way) rather than fighting it. Doing your best is not making excuses but finding a way to use what you are dealing with.

All of that said, your shots are not bad at all. But they don't convey, to me, what you put in your thread title.

^ Agree..

I say, get her in a pair of jeans, a solid color cotton shirt, and relax! She looks way out of her element, and as a photographer, you didn't put her at ease, not did you flatter her, just my take.

I bet she looks sweet when she smiles.;)

don't you mean buckhead?

too much saturation for my taste and the watermark draws attention away from her face.

the railing running from ear to ear is worrysome for me as well. #3

Thank you everyone for your inputs! I appreciate your words, whether good or bad, as they help me for my work with future clients. For the ones that were too bright as said by a few of you, I was using a reflector which brought a LOT of light, and it was so bright out that day that I had to either not use a reflector and suffer a massive shadow on half of her body, or use the reflector and make it too bright. I'm probably going to buy one of those translucent reflectors to soften the sunlight for next time.

Also I agree with the comments about the watermark placement. I'll be sure to rethink how big it is and where I place it next time.

ann- No, it's actually Bankhead. It's a very crummy and disgusting area of Atlanta, but perfect for urban photoshoots!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back