Portrait shooter. Need equiptment suggestions

I'd like to get a bokeh kit though :3
Make your own!

You can make your own?! I thought it was a special filter. OMG SO EXCITED lsdafmlsdkfnsjf <3

...No...

Everyone(including me) is being sarcastic about the "bokeh kit" because it doesn't exist. Bokeh is the term for out of focus backgrounds/foregrounds. The lower the F stop a lens has, the more you can throw things out of focus. Generally, you need to get a lens that has a low F stop(large aperature) to have bokeh. Then, there is the quality of bokeh a lens can produce, but thats a different topic.

Make your own!

You can make your own?! I thought it was a special filter. OMG SO EXCITED lsdafmlsdkfnsjf <3

...No...

Everyone(including me) is being sarcastic about the "bokeh kit" because it doesn't exist. Bokeh is the term for out of focus backgrounds/foregrounds. The lower the F stop a lens has, the more you can throw things out of focus. Generally, you need to get a lens that has a low F stop(large aperature) to have bokeh. Then, there is the quality of bokeh a lens can produce, but thats a different topic.

You don't speak for "everyone".
It's pretty obvious you didn't follow the link to the "bokeh kit" and see what it is. And YES YOU CAN make your own "bokeh kit". :roll:

...No...

It's pretty obvious you didn't follow the link to the "bokeh kit" and see what it is. And YES YOU CAN make your own "bokeh kit". :roll:

Lol, I didn't even see those links.

...No...

Lol, I didn't even see those links.

THe bokeh kit takes the lights of the background and creates a shape with them. OBVIOUSLY not everyone is being sarcastic. How embarassingggggg
Anyways, I thought it would be something deffinately cool to use for portraits (not many people use it) to create cool effects for like kids and stuff :) I'm going to google how to make my own right nowww :)

Cut discs of heavy black paper, cardboard, or thin plastic, and use an exacto knife to cut out your desired shape, or words.
The easiest way to mount these, is to have them fit into a UV, or Clear Glass "protective" filter.
Stick them on with tape, double sided tape, or anything else sticky and removable.

Cut discs of heavy black paper, cardboard, or thin plastic, and use an exacto knife to cut out your desired shape, or words.
The easiest way to mount these, is to have them fit into a UV, or Clear Glass "protective" filter.
Stick them on with tape, double sided tape, or anything else sticky and removable.

Thanks! I found a video :) Here's the link if anyone else wants to try :)
DIY Photography Project: How to Make Custom Bokeh Shapes

Think I could do it with a 18-55?

Bokeh is the term for out of focus backgrounds/foregrounds. The lower the F stop a lens has, the more you can throw things out of focus. Generally, you need to get a lens that has a low F stop(large aperature) to have bokeh. Then, there is the quality of bokeh a lens can produce, but thats a different topic.
That is a description of depth-of-field (DOF), not a description of bokeh.

The bokeh of a lens is not adjustable. Bokeh is a qualitative (not quantitative) measure of the 'circle of confusion' a lens produces. Circle of confusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, the DOF used emphasizes, or de-emphasizes the bokeh a particular lens produces.

There are 2 kinds of desirable bokeh:
  1. cream cheese bokeh
  2. hollywood bokeh.
Some lenses produce low quality, discordant bokeh often characterized as coarse, jittery, nervous, etc.

You can get great fan cooled studio light kits from Ebay, don't be put-off the quality is high quality and Bowens fit. Tamron 90mm macro lens is good lens.

Most reactions

Back