Portrait: which crop?

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can't decide on a crop for this photograph.

Which one works best out of the two? I keep switching between them both

jaynemon101.jpg

jaynemon102.jpg

Any other suggestions welcome

thanks

I like the first one. Part of what makes this a nice portrait, is the strong top/back lighting which separates her hair from the BG.

yep, i agree.... number 1 for me too..... its a good shot :thumbup:

I prefer the second crop. Really pulls you right into the eyes, makes it a stronger shot.

It's a good image - you wouldn't go wrong with either one! :)

thanks for the speedy replies. seems to be leaning towards the first crop, but i'm still unsure

Pete: Did you mean #2 crop?

JohnMF said:
Pete: Did you mean #2 crop?

No... I was suggesting a third option. My humor doen't always translate well in writing.

I prefer the first crop, but wish there was just a bit more room on the right... in front of her. I wonder if there's any room on your original.

Just a thought.

Pete

I guess I'm wondering how it would look if her EYES were centered.

Christie Photo said:
No... I was suggesting a third option. My humor doen't always translate well in writing.

I prefer the first crop, but wish there was just a bit more room on the right... in front of her. I wonder if there's any room on your original.

Just a thought.

Pete

I guess I'm wondering how it would look if her EYES were centered.

oh right :lol:

Yes, the original has more space to the right and a little above. I will have a look into that, thanks

Tough choice. It depends on what mood you want. My tendency is to crop close. But here's some thoughts:

As they are, #1 works best for me crop-wise, but I'd like her face to be a little bit brighter, or at least her eyes. My eye is drawn up to the brightness of her hair, which is distracting. I really like the highlight, though.

I think #2 could work really well, but I might take some more off the left so that it feels a bit more balanced. About halfway between the current edge and her ear. A tiny bit off the bottom might work also.

Like Terri said, I think it's a stronger shot and really pulls you into her eyes, and it's more intimate. You lose some of the glow of the hair, which is nice, but I think the result is worth it.

Oh, one other thing: What focal length did you use? Her forehead looks a little enlarged, like a wide-angle lens might be distorting thing a bit. It might be just the highlight up there, though.

first one. the second makes her look, well, fatter.

Most reactions

Back