Portrait with an atypical focal length (35mm on APS-C head and shoulders)

Is her nose really that big? Or is the barrel distortion? :)

It looks relatively life like to me.

Could use a hair light to illuminate the glasses a bit.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Yeah, I thought about adding another light, but I'm really just getting into portraits, so I'm trying to just nail one light and really get an intuitive feel for it before I start adding on pieces.

fjrabon said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/franklinrabon/7619051924/
DSC_0162 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

35mm ISO100 f/3.5 1/200 sec with softbox to the upper right.

C+C appreciated

The way she is holding her head isn't very flattering and she looks surprised/shocked.

Weird nitpick but you can see her contacts around the edge of her iris and they look blue. Not weird that you can see her contacts - its the blue part. She has really pretty eyes though!

fjrabon said:
DSC_0162 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

35mm ISO100 f/3.5 1/200 sec with softbox to the upper right.

C+C appreciated

The way she is holding her head isn't very flattering and she looks surprised/shocked.

Weird nitpick but you can see her contacts around the edge of her iris and they look blue. Not weird that you can see her contacts - its the blue part. She has really pretty eyes though!

Ha, yeah, the pose was all her doing. She was annoyed enough to have pictures taken of her in the first place. She dang sure wasn't taking any "move your head this way" type instruction. ;)

Hmm, I guess it's her eyes going through the contacts in a weird way or something, as her eyes are blue and her contacts are clear.

Thanks for the feedback!

Any thoughts on the lighting?

35 on a crop sensor is about 50mm, not that atypical, although usually for a shot like this I would be at 85mm or above. It looks relatively candid, could definitely use some background light, she's sort of blending in with the black.

35 on a crop sensor is about 50mm, not that atypical, although usually for a shot like this I would be at 85mm or above. It looks relatively candid, could definitely use some background light, she's sort of blending in with the black.

It was actually sort of a mixture of candid and set. I was just taking some test shots of stuff to practice working full manual (ie manual on the camera and manual on the flash) and she stopped by. Since the stuff was set up I convinced her to step in front of the softbox and take one shot.

Yeah, isn't 50mm usually a full body portrait length?

The darkness of the background is mostly because there was no background, just a relatively cluttered room. you can sort of tell in the closest parts by her shoulders.

Most reactions

Back