Portrait

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am by now means a portrait photographer, often I'm way too shy to photograph people. I lack the knowledge and the equipment.

However, I'm still interested to know what you think about this portrait (non-studio situation, no additional light but that from the window to the left):

OpaGerd_251204_crop.jpg

You're off to a great start, LaFoto! I like the expression you caught. I do find the shadow behind his head to be distracting though. Excellent use of natural light!

It's very nice. I like it a lot. Good job for using what you have. :)

I think that's a great composition and the man's expression is perfect. But I'd try to turn his head a bit just to get more light on his left eye

mentos_007 said:
I think that's a great composition and the man's expression is perfect. But I'd try to turn his head a bit just to get more light on his left eye

I'm with mentos.

Great Job using natural light the only other thing would be to set a reflector up to the right to bounce some light to that side.

Not a bad start. The image is abit soft and you should use a reflector board to "open up" the shadow side of the face to show more detail. As it is the shadow side is hiding alot of the features of the face. also keep your models about 4 feet or so from whatever you use as a backdrop. That way it will be thrown out of focus and you will not get a dark shadow behind you subject.

I really like the framing and that he looks natural. You managed tofind the balance in the exposure, but a little more light on the rightside would have made this picture much better .

It's somewhat hard to critique as I know your scanner is washing outthe colour, can't wait for you to jump on the bandwagon and go digital;)

I find the right of his face is a little to dark. Maybe a reflector ofsome type could of help here. Also the shadow of the candles is verydistracting.

Otherwise I think it is a great capture of the man's expression.

Thank you so much for all your replies.
Now let me explain:
This one is no set-up portrait situation. It actually is nothing but a snapshot.
The man in the photo is my father-in-law and the photo was taken on Christmas Day afternoon. A low winter sun shone in through the window while we were sitting there, talking. I played around a little with my new tripod and no-flash pictures (taking my self-portrait in the Christmas ball at the time, some may remember that one), when I turned my camera towards my father-in-law. He immediately went "Do I have to pose now?" and I said "Oh, just behave as if I weren't here at all!"
At the time, I was well aware of the shadows of that candleholder on the shelf next to him reflected on the wall, but I didn't want to do anything about it, as not to disturb the conversation too much.
That is also why I couldn't take any measures at all in order to give light to the other side of his face, which I can now see was a mistake.
He did pose in the end, though not much, but long enough to let this (relatively) long exposure picture come out unblurred.
To me, this photo of my father-in-law is very much "him". I think, it is one of the best portraits I've ever taken of him (and if I take portraits at all, it's mostly within the family, for I am way too shy to take portrait pictures of others).
But I wanted to hear your independent opinion, which is why I didn't tell you how this photo came about and who the man is. Thank you again!

im not exactly sure i'd call this just a "snapshot."
when i think of "snapshots" i tend to think of an image that has no depth or meaning or emotion, but i get all three from this photograph youve posted. the mans expression is great, and i like the shadows to the right of his face.
you should keep on photographin'.
t.r.

(I think it's about time to show my father-in-law this photo - he doesn't even know it himself... erm... :blushing: )

Not all portraits have to be done in a studio. In fact I prefer the ones that arent, it takes people out of context, which is not ideal for a portrait, a portrait is to express someones personality and to show them up as an individual which has to happen in their own everyday habitat.

I second Force of Nature 100% on that one.

i find the shadow behind his head giving your shot a dramatic non-clichet effect so Bravo on that one.

it's a shame that 25% of your shot (bottom right) is a voide, the kind of voide that doesn't say a thing...

a bit of sharpening and you have a very nice photograph to enlarge and give to your father in law.

Cheers,
Trombone

After some close inspection of the print, I can now tell you that the left side of my father-in-law's face can be seen clearly on it, and it is also evident that he's resting his left arm on the back of the black sofa, the chequered nature of the shirt still shows. And the print is absolutely crisp/sharp. So I would assume that an enlargment of this could be a nice present to my husband's father :).

Most reactions

Back