Portraits at weddings

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at a wedding workshop a few weeks ago and the photog was talking about her aproach to the reception. She said that at every reception that has the room, she sets up a backdrop and strobes to take portraits of the guests. The idea being that most brides don't want a whole lot of photos of drunk guests dancing anyway, and most people get "dressed up" for weddings so what better time to get a portrait done. They don't set up this stuff until the reception formals are done(cake cutting,garter,etc..) but she has found it to be a big hit. Does anyone else do this? I think I'm going to add it to my package, just to see how it goes.

Oh I forgot to mention she puts the images up on her website and allows the guests to download them for free.

Why wouldn't brides want photos of their guests having fun?
By the time the other reception shots are done (cake cutting etc)...many of the guests will be drunk anyway....and a drunk portrait is probably worse that a drunk dancing photo. Besides, many of the older guests might have gone home by that time anyway.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea...but I don't agree with that reasoning.

On slow nights, we may go around taking portrait style shots of guests and couples. We usually try to get photos of all the guests anyway...either candid or posed etc.
You can still get great shots of people without setting up a little studio.

I have set up a studio light at receptions, but don't really use it for portrait sittings.

I've seen a website or article about these photographers who made some sort of 'self serve' photo booth that they set up at events like weddings. There were selling a PDF on how to set this up yourself...but it was rather expensive and I don't know anyone who bought it...although they say that it pays for itself pretty quick.

...at every reception that has the room, she sets up a backdrop and strobes to take portraits of the guests...

ehh.... I've never felt good about this.

My portrait customers pay a decent chunk of change for my work. The idea of people, at random, having me make portraits on demand, without a pre-order, just seems wrong... both for me and my portrait customers.

Besides... by that time of the day, I'm done. I've just worked nonstop for 6–7 hours. I just want to done.

-Pete

Mike, what did you do with the photos of your drunk friends at your reception? Did they make it in your album? I didn't include one of them in my album when I got married. I will only do the portrait shot thing when I'm going to have more than one photographer there too. I still get plenty of drunk dancing. The portrait thing is just a good little extra that we're going to offer. I just want to have those little extras that make the bride say wow, you and this photographer over here both have nice photos, but you offer that little extra... ya know what I mean?

Portrait stations are becoming more and more popular... but not in the way this suggests. Normally it's "in place of" something like a photo booth. People go in front of the camera, go crazy, have fun, trigger the camera with a PW. In that regard they are plenty successful and actually add to the party. For example: the image is found . photo blog

However, if you are taking what amounts to a 'professional family portrait' and giving the files away for free... what's the point? For me, I'm shooting a wedding - I want my subjects to be 'at a wedding' having a blast - that's what I was hired for, anyway.

Perhaps it's a different clientelle... I know the clients that hire me are specifically NOT looking for that type of image... a few, sure, but nothing elaborate.
But I do understand that some couples still like "grip and grins" and the more formal stuff.

I don't think necessarily family portraits, but for the shots like you were talking. Groups of friends, couples, etc... Just add the backdrop and a strobe or two with someone "manning" the camera. Like I said, I haven't done this yet, I'm just interested in trying it out. Here is the photogs site that I got the idea from: Cincinnati Wedding Photobooth by Tammy Bryan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back