Portraits of a Young Girl (C&C Please)

I really like photo 1 - I just love that expression. The portrait verson works well I think and I love the colours :thumbup:

Judging by what I see it looks like you only had two lights... one 45 degrees camera right, and one on the background. I was asking because I like the depth of your lighting, and the catchlights in her eyes. I wouldn't have guessed you had a light camera left. I know the "rules" are a main light camera right and a fill light close to the camera axis.. but I like the lighting setup you have... or at least these results. Personally I would have used more power on the light camera left.. because its a tad too much in shadow but again... i like this set!

Thanks and I did forget to mention that I had a light on the background. I agree that the shadows are too dark. In all of these pictures I had to use the dodge tool to lighten the shadows. This was my first time doing a studio setup, but now I know what to watch for in the future. I can only hope to purchase more lighting in the very near future.

I really like photo 1 - I just love that expression. The portrait verson works well I think and I love the colours :thumbup:

Thank you, PhotoTish! I think number 1 is one of my favorites as well. I am a sucker for B&W photography and tend to think that most photos (mine anyways) look better in monochromatic schemes.

I think you have enough lighting to get by honestly. I have three lights, 2 alien bees and 1 speedlight... but I mainly use my bees... one for main and one for fill. If i needed to blow out my background or wanted a hair light id use my speedlight. Good job on your first setup!

Next time, try having a front shoulder and a back shoulder and a high shoulder and a low shoulder all in the same photo. She is mostly square to the camera in all of them, save the last, but not by much.

Most reactions

Back