portraits of swimmers

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been working on this series for a few years now. All were shot during competition, with avaliable light. Originally shot in colour. All shot using a Canon 1D or 1D mkll and with a 300 2.8.

ThomasRae-swim.jpg

LaurenLavigna-f002-swim.jpg

GenevieveSaumur-f004-swim.jpg

AshtonBaumann-h007.jpg

AlyssaBakken-f002-swim.jpg

I like em', They all look like they have brought the serious side. Believe the conversions made them even stronger images.
-
Thanks for sharing and shoot well, Joe

Nice work! I would love to shoot swim comps but need a faster lens :/

May I assume you took these in the moments before they got up to the starting block? And may I further assume that each and everyone of them was unaware their portrait was taken at the time it was taken?
Her movement in 3 looks like a pose at first sight, but I guess she was only adjusting her cap.
I like the one-directional light in all of these!

I like these. Much better than the ones you posted of them swimming. I didnt want to be the Debbie Downer because everyone else liked those photos.

Apples and Oranges really.

They were all shot just before the start, apart from removing the colour and adding a little contrast the backgrounds haven't been changed, it's all just a matter of using the light that's there. People only ever see action when they think swimming, the action is the boring part.

Last edited:
...the action is the boring part.

That need not be the case, though when you cover a meet, you best try to cover all aspects, which includes the emotion (as shown here in part) before the start! And other aspects, too! So I like these, but I also liked your action shots, for I liked how you worked with the given light in an indoors pool. I remember I asked you a question in that other thread but am not sure I got round to reading the reply. Did I miss it? Must go and look.

Dude, I would invest in an underwater casing next!

Dude, I would invest in an underwater casing next!

For swim meets it has a very limited use and not worth the expence, especially as the majority of meets are indoor pools with poor light. It looks great on tv, and I have some very nice stills.

:thumbsup: Very nice work. Certainly not your typical swim meet shots.

Most reactions

Back