"Portraits" too snapshotty? C&C please...

I like no.3 for its muted desat feel, and its slightly off centre composition. On the whole though I would say they are all above average. Some more than others but like them all :)

So the lighting is what causes my photos to appear flat?
Yep :) you're learning
Am I safe to assume better lighting would also help with getting a cripser, sharper image?
Never ASS U ME :) but define "better". Definitely different would be helpful as in get the light OFF-CAMERA

Just seems like others are able to achieve almost 3-dimensional photos, whereas mine just look BLAH.
Look up Inverse Square Law & think about light sources. You don't need to invest in a HARD CORE gear, yet, to give the 3D view to your images but at least one flash unit with capabilities to have it off-camera would be a good start.
You UNDERexpose the scene and light up your subjects thus have them pop-up in a sense from the scene. Also direction of the light also very important. There will be times when you just want to have this flat looking imageIf or have time just for one shot - thus take it and go; however, if opportunity permits, why not make the image better. Unfortunatly there are people out there (pros and amateurs) who do not know fundamentals of light, how it works and what to do with it. Yet charge tremendous amount of $ and put out crappy product. Stay in photography long enough and you'll see this time and time again.
If you don't want to believe me and take my word for it, look at any PRO-OUTDOOR model shoot. TRUCKS pull up with lighting gear, permits have to be acquired to set those up, its a huge production. Look at Hollywood films, those are gigantic 18wheelers with continues lights, huge softboxes, all meant to imitate natural light and yet control its direction, intensity, etc etc.
Natural (outdoor) light, as I said, is pretty boring (unless we're speaking of this Golden Hour). Learn to control it and it'll improve your work tremendously.
PM if you want to talk specifics.

Last edited:
Lighting is important but you might get away with someone holding a reflector. That's what I did for a while before I started using flashes.

A few kids I've shot don't take well to lots of equipment (I have only a small "strobist" kit). It either scares them or distracts them. It makes it more difficult to get that natural playful expression. You'll have to play it by ear.

So the lighting is what causes my photos to appear flat?
Yep :) you're learning
Am I safe to assume better lighting would also help with getting a cripser, sharper image?
Never ASS U ME :) but define "better". Definitely different would be helpful as in get the light OFF-CAMERA

Just seems like others are able to achieve almost 3-dimensional photos, whereas mine just look BLAH.
Look up Inverse Square Law & think about light sources. You don't need to invest in a HARD CORE gear, yet, to give the 3D view to your images but at least one flash unit with capabilities to have it off-camera would be a good start.
You UNDERexpose the scene and light up your subjects thus have them pop-up in a sense from the scene. Also direction of the light also very important. There will be times when you just want to have this flat looking imageIf or have time just for one shot - thus take it and go; however, if opportunity permits, why not make the image better. Unfortunatly there are people out there (pros and amateurs) who do not know fundamentals of light, how it works and what to do with it. Yet charge tremendous amount of $ and put out crappy product. Stay in photography long enough and you'll see this time and time again.
If you don't want to believe me and take my word for it, look at any PRO-OUTDOOR model shoot. TRUCKS pull up with lighting gear, permits have to be acquired to set those up, its a huge production. Look at Hollywood films, those are gigantic 18wheelers with continues lights, huge softboxes, all meant to imitate natural light and yet control its direction, intensity, etc etc.
Natural (outdoor) light, as I said, is pretty boring (unless we're speaking of this Golden Hour). Learn to control it and it'll improve your work tremendously.
PM if you want to talk specifics.

Thanks for the info. As long as what you say is right, then you've been a great help :) Haha, just kidding. I really do appreciate it.

I'm ordering an Alien Bees kit this week. I'll be playing with that a lot, and now I'm more interested in possibly using it outside...?

Check for a PM from me soooooon!

Thanks again!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back