Portraiture critique?

DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well portraiture is new to me and I wanted to take pics of my girlfriend to show off her new hair. I already posted a thread in the people and pets gallery section. To see it, click --> here<--.

Everyone said picture #5 is the best and here is that picture.

n1114080518_30217181_6933.jpg

I would like to know how I did for one of my first shoot with a modeling subject. These photos are all out of camera with no post proccessing but I am a skilled photoshopper. So tell me what I need to do both holding the camera and/or in the editing program. You guys already helped me with my automobile photography and I took the critique seriously and learned. so I ask you to help me again. Thank you.

P.S. you can critique the photography as HARSHLY as you want but if you have anything mean to say about the model I prefer you keep it to yourself, positive comments about her are welcome.

I have alot of beef with this portrait. If you had a yellow background and had her wear a white, grey, or black top, the hair would have more impact becuase the background would be the compliment of her hair.

Half of her face looks out of focus, her arm and teeth look great, but her eyes are very soft. The lighting isn't so great either. It's from the top, down, with no fill light, thus giving her "racoon eyes". If you have someone who can be an assistant, use them! They can hold up fill cards/reflectors, if you have a speedlight and pocket wizards, use them as a slave, take it off the camera, and set it off to the side to give direction to the lighting, and have a fill card on the other side for fill light, you can gauge the exposure of the background with your shutter speed while your flash is gauged by your aperture. If the light is too harsh, make a softbox for it, it's not hard, and it's dirt cheap, all you need is a cardborard box, duct tape, wax paper, and a razor blade.

I know that if you just try some of what I mentioned above, your posed portraits would have more impact.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. All I have is the on camera flash but bouncing some sunlight up under her brow line wouldn't of hurt.

Anyone else?

the angle is a bit too much in my opinion (which isnt very valid) but i found myself turning my head to look at it because i wasnt sure if it had maybe been uploaded sideways

Every opinion is valid. Photography is supposed to reach out to people. Weather a seasoned photography studying pro or a non-biased child, there is no such thing as an invalid photographic opinion.

As well as what has been mentioned, her hand is cut off, your angle gives her one fat arm and one slim arm, round shoulders and a slight hunch back. Skin colour, face shadows, and soft focus round out some of the other major problems.

Take a look at the tips on portraiture provide in the Portraits and Wedding forum here on this site.

skieur

Most reactions

Back