Pose ideas for an over weight bride and groom

The bride has asked me to "Show her figure in way that will makes her look flattering, and to avoid poses that accentuate their size."

Geez.. What a task. How about just head and shoulder shots?

Head and shoulder shots? That would make some nice wedding shots.
Wow. Why so condescending? I don’t shoot people at all, but totally understand that there certain poses, angles, etc that can make someone more flattering. Why are we focusing on the fact that they are large people? That’s just a point of fact that the OP is dealing with. It aint that tough.
Shoot from a lower perspective to make something or someone look taller or more powerful.
Shoot from a higher perspective to make something or someone look smaller.
Certain side lighting will make ones face look thinner…
Sorry, OP, that I can help much with this kind of question, but hang on, some others will give you some more tips like KmH and gsgary.

i'm sure the customer wants to appear as nicely as possible in the pics...that wasn't OPs question.

Elongate their necks (IE looking up at the camera)
When shooting full body shots never have them square to the camera. Shoot them to where their bodies are at an angle.

If she has an unflattering wedding dress though you're kind of screwed lol

i'm sure the customer wants to appear as nicely as possible in the pics...that wasn't OPs question.
I must be missing something then.
"Anyone have any tips on posing large couples?"
I kinda took it like she was looking for tips on how to pose" larger people" so they would look the best possible.
Crazy me.

When you look up you can lose some chin. So find some high ground if you have it. If not, get a ladder.

This is going to be tough; it sounds like they're (or at least the bride) is aware of her weight but not happy with it. Agree with the advice about pushing out chins, higher camera angles, and angled poses. Also look for backgrounds that wil help you out (assuming a white or white-ish dress) look for white backgrounds to pose her against so that she doesn't stand out as distinctly. If there are centre-pieces, large boquets or decorative shrubbery, pose around them to help "break up" their size. Do NOT back-light them (unless you're REALLY good), but rather try and get your light up high, and take advantage of shadows whenever possible

Good luck, and please post some of your work when it's done.

Try to add distracting elements to the shots, like sheep. They can pose behind them or even next to them so as to draw the eyes off the couple and onto the sheep. This will work like a charm.

one thing you can do with portraits is hide part of the body say behind a tree with a hand by the side of the cheek hiding any folds around the neck, look for pilars or anything you can incorporate in the shot, sorry for the joke before i have a sick sense of humour

Try to add distracting elements to the shots, like sheep. They can pose behind them or even next to them so as to draw the eyes off the couple and onto the sheep. This will work like a charm.

So, what I get from this advice is we should try to hide them behind a large distracting sheep?

We are coming up against reality here.
If the bride has chosen wisely with a dress that doesn't accentuate large arms etc, we can do what we can.

I shot a relative's reception and had the most success with a pose where the groom sort of enveloped the bride from the side with his arms (they were sitting on a piano bench kind of thing), so that her extremities were partially shielded but most of her torso, which was quite pretty was visible against his chest.
She was sitting facing the camera but at 45 degrees to it. He was sitting facing the other way at 45 degrees (his legs on the far side of the bench) and twisted back towards me with his arms around her. He was a big guy and it worked just fine, albeit not a pose he could hold for a long time.
I cropped it tight and vignetted it with a soft vignette and it turned out to be 'the shot.'

that was the money shot.

I have shot large size women. In boudoir shoots, I shoot quite a few pics from shooting down from a ladder. Someone mentioned shot at angles. Since he is so tall, have him sit in a few pics and have her posing behind him. May have to take some pics of them before the wedding to practice how to pose them. YouTube or net for suggestions. I learned very quickly that friends whom weigh more than I can not be posed in the majority of positions I use for slimmer women.

I have shot large size women. In boudoir shoots, I shoot quite a few pics from shooting down from a ladder. Someone mentioned shot at angles. Since he is so tall, have him sit in a few pics and have her posing behind him. May have to take some pics of them before the wedding to practice how to pose them. YouTube or net for suggestions. I learned very quickly that friends whom weigh more than I can not be posed in the majority of positions I use for slimmer women.
Excellent advice!

Are you volunteering to clean up the reception area? I'm guessing you've never walked through a sheep pasture, have you?

Elongate their necks (IE looking up at the camera)
When shooting full body shots never have them square to the camera. Shoot them to where their bodies are at an angle.

If she has an unflattering wedding dress though you're kind of screwed lol

Yeah I def agree having them at an angle is better, not so sure what the dress looks like, my fingers are crossed!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back