Posing Old Brothers

R-V

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am starting to shoot more studio (at home) portraits mainly of family. . I have been looking for resources on posing and have purchase a couple of books. But books tend to deal with a single subject. I need information on posing multiple subjects of different ages. If anyone could point me towards any resources that give examples or directions would be appreciated.

My dad has requested I make portraits of our family. One portrait will consist of my dad and his brother 76 and 74 years old. How do you pose two old brothers together? Suggestion Please.

Thanks Russell

Over a game of chess? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.. no serious advice here, but welcome to the forum.

We are in Deep South USA. A couple of red necks playing chess I don't think so. :)

Im not from the states so sorry if this isnt right.Deep South to me is cowboys and horses.So what about the town of them sitting on a porch in chairs or leaning on a fence with the scenary behind them.

Well, if you're in the deep South, how about finding a barber shop to sit in front of or perhaps just on a porch? Sorry if those sound completely cliche, but I can't think of anything else. heh

Take them to a Cracker Barrel and shoot them playing checkers. Then make them buy you lunch! ;) Then shoot them at the table sharing a meal, it doesn't get any more Southern than that!!!

Got an airboat? Or a Jon Boat? Nothing says redneck like airboats, fishing, mudding, 4 wheeling etc... I may not be a redneck, but I am marrying into a family of em! :mrgreen:

Personally I would go with fishing.

Deep south you say?
Well, if you can get them out of the house......
How about their back to you , standing and looking out onto a field of crops a silhouette of them, then maybe them looking at each other. Cowboy or straw hats will emphasize the photo.
Do you have access to:
an old tractor
any farm equipment
a front porch with two rocking chairs
a lake, pond, some sort of fishing hole

Maybe take them to a state park, you can usually find an old wooden cabin there... and maybe one of those log fences.
I would stick to things that they have experienced in their lifetime. Something that would really represent them. These types of photos would look great if you convert some to black and white when you are all done.
If all else fails, give them two "super soaker" water guns, there is always sibling rivalry..

Just my two cents, for what it's worth. Maybe if you can't use these, it will spark some ideas.
Edited to say: I have purchased 6 books on portrait photography and I havent gotten more than one or two good ideas.

Favorite greezy food Diner or Cafe???????:coffee:

have a good one
3Eo

Is it really necessary to pose them so artificially? Are you shooting the picture for them or to make some statement photographically independent of the subjects?

If it were me, I'd try to shoot them in a situation as candid as possible. Catch them doing whatever it is they like doing together, whether sipping their favorite brew (tea, beer, whatever), puffing their favorite smoke (if they do that sort of thing), watching the horse race at the track, holding their grand or great grandchildren, whatever.

Something that is natural to them will be more appreciated by them now, and much more valuable to you later.

Just my two cents.

Caruso

Most reactions

Back