Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some shots from a posing workshop last night.... unfortunately we had no control over lighting or background-to-subject distance. Thoughts?

Caitlin_Small.jpg

Caitlin%20(2)_Small.jpg

Caitlin%20(3)_Small.jpg

Just reminds me how much I dislike posed studio portraits :)

They poses are all a little stiff for my casual laid back taste.
Was she pregnant? Because the last one looks like she is. Not a bad thing if she is pregnant, but if she is not, something els needs to be done with her hands. :)

Just reminds me how much I dislike posed studio portraits
Not my favorite either, but this was a workshop on traditional, portrait-style posing...

They poses are all a little stiff for my casual laid back taste.
The whole 'formal studio portrait' thing...

Was she pregnant? Because the last one looks like she is. Not a bad thing if she is pregnant, but if she is not, something els needs to be done with her hands.
Not as far as I know, just an unfortunate choice of sweaters (and NOT a pose I would suggest)

Whoever did that lighting should be ashamed of themselves.

I can't remember what the hell it's called, but the last one has it big time - all over her sweater. The rings, or whatever you want to call it.

Why would you even want to know how to pose people like this? Yuck.. I think "The whole 'formal studio portrait' thing..." should fade out.. lol

And #3, its not so much the sweater, but the pose. Clients are going to wear whatever they decide to wear and its up to the photographer to make it work for them. Maybe thats something that should have been taught in your posing workshop.. just sayin...

Looks like the key light was way low, based on the highlights... and the fill light was high? How did they light this?

And #3, its not so much the sweater, but the pose. Clients are going to wear whatever they decide to wear and its up to the photographer to make it work for them. Maybe thats something that should have been taught in your posing workshop.. just sayin...

I actually disagree with that ^^ Some sweaters are flat out unflattering.
Actually, I think I have a pic of a girl in that exact sweater, and I asked my husband (his almost-cousin) if she was pregnant hah.

Last edited:
And #3, its not so much the sweater, but the pose.
If you're talking about all those 'rings', it is very much because of the sweater. I can't remember what it's called, but it happens with digital cameras when they take a picture of a grid-like pattern.

And #3, its not so much the sweater, but the pose.
If you're talking about all those 'rings', it is very much because of the sweater. I can't remember what it's called, but it happens with digital cameras when they take a picture of a grid-like pattern.

I think shes talking about the mock baby belly. And I can't see these rings, did you zoom in?

Whoever did that lighting should be ashamed of themselves.
We went through three strobes; by the time I was shooting these we were down to triggering a couple of 150w/s strobes with a hot-shoe speedlight!

I can't remember what the hell it's called, but the last one has it big time - all over her sweater. The rings, or whatever you want to call it.
Moiree... it's a result of the compression. Hi-res

Why would you even want to know how to pose people like this? Yuck.. I think "The whole 'formal studio portrait' thing..." should fade out.. lol
Because people pay money for formal portraits.

Maybe it was... just sayin'... ;)

Ooh I see the Moiree now.

Most reactions

Back