Positive Thinking

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have you had any experiences where thinking positively has helped improve your photography?

Do you shoot with the mindset of, "You can do this", or are you detracting from your art with negative thoughts, doubts and the pressure of forcing yourself get a great shot?

Actually it's when I start to get confident about the images as I'm taking them that they usually start sucking.

Hmm. Interesting question. I wonder how others answer it.

For me, with clients, it is more like, "you WILL do this." LOL. There isn't much room for self doubt or negative thoughts. Later, I may find things that I want to improve, but at the time, I have to act confident to be confident.

For other types of photography (architecture, landscapes, etc.—the non-paying ones) I don't know that thinking positively comes into it for me. I do it to relax and in turn, it improves my mood and gives me a more positive outlook on life in general.
I can't really fail in that case. Although the one time I walked all over a city for 4 hours taking architecture pics to realize they were at 1600iso did NOTHING to improve my mood later that night once I discovered it! THAT mistake was never made again.

I could agree with that!
I think overconfidence leads one to take shortcuts - and the fact is shortcuts just don't work with photography.

I would say though that I tend to get better shots when I shoot in a posetive mood probably as I am more willing to press the shutter than not - in conditions where I find it harder to get shots as I want them I am more want to just watch at times.

I could agree with that!
I think overconfidence leads one to take shortcuts - and the fact is shortcuts just don't work with photography.

I would say though that I tend to get better shots when I shoot in a posetive mood probably as I am more willing to press the shutter than not - in conditions where I find it harder to get shots as I want them I am more want to just watch at times.

Good point-- if I perceive a situation as one that will not yield much, I'll put the camera down, even when I ought to keep looking for something interesting.

With so much potential crap that can happen in your (those that read this and are moved) photographic career, I'd like to offer up my mantra for life. This can apply to everything you pursue, relationships that fail, promotions that pass you by, missed opportunities, stupid blunders,etc. There are no coincidences in life, only your reaction to the incident.

I thought in this manner long before [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ"]this clip [/ame]came about, but it hits the nails on the head for me.

And I refuse to give credit to Bobby Ferrin, but secretly agree with the message.

I always go in over confident I think. It's not arrogance nor is it cockyness (ok, i am little cocky at times but only for fun :) ) but it pushes me to achieve what it is I am after. The other day when I went to do my brothers motorcycle shoot (it was my first auto shoot and also my first time using lights outside of self portraits and a couple of shots of the girlfriend) I asked him if he wanted some "amazing" photos of his bike, assuring him I knew exactly what I was doing.

The best part is that i went in, setup the lights how i wanted them to look, and just started shooting. After seeing the LCD and how I was getting the effect I wanted and picturing the final images, I just felt on point and was shooting with more confidence than I have ever really felt.

It was even to the point where I noticed the shadow was being thrown onto the wall, and made him move his bike further away to remove it. Now this is the sort of thing I ALWAYS miss and regret later when I pull the photos up to process them.

So yes, I think going in with a good attitude and plenty of confidence helps my photography a lot.

Positive thinking as in imagining that this time going in you are going to put in the extra effort to do better than the last time in a given shooting situation? Yes, it can help... but positive thinking as in coming in over confident... thats a mistake. :)

With so much potential crap ...

With the lead-in I quoted this may be a bit hard to believe, but so far, you win.

The question has nothing to do with overconfidence- which is fixing on a negative.

Let's take a little peek see at the primary question again;
Have you had any experiences where thinking positively has helped improve your photography?

I don't think about the pictures I am taking... I SEE the pictures I am taking as they appear before me. Positive, negative, doesn't matter... they are there or they are not.

I don't think about the pictures I am taking... I SEE the pictures I am taking as they appear before me. Positive, negative, doesn't matter... they are there or they are not.

Do you visualize them before hand?- Say, the night before?

For me, with clients, it is more like, "you WILL do this." LOL. There isn't much room for self doubt or negative thoughts. Later, I may find things that I want to improve, but at the time, I have to act confident to be confident.

For other types of photography (architecture, landscapes, etc.—the non-paying ones) I don't know that thinking positively comes into it for me. I do it to relax and in turn, it improves my mood and gives me a more positive outlook on life in general.

I can't really fail in that case. ...

This seems to be bringing it together also.

Last edited:
That visualization thing is one of those things I consider the sign of a really experienced photographer. Being able to visualize a shot and bring it to fruition is hard!

When I started out, it was "snap!, snap!, snap!" now I really try with each shot to see what I want before I press the shutter and match that vision with what I see on the LCD.

It's rare that the 2 match, but when they do... magic! :)

That visualization thing is one of those things I consider the sign of a really experienced photographer. Being able to visualize a shot and bring it to fruition is hard!

Yeah, if you can visualize in detail, I'd say you are already good and don't need any positive thinking to help. People who can visualize anything, be it a piece of art, or how they will move in a sport, have a clear understanding of what works and what doesn't.

I'm by no means an "experienced" photographer, but I don't use positive thinking to get better shots. I just try to immerse myself in the scene and have fun doing it, and that works for me.

Do you visualize them before hand?- Say, the night before?

I visualize scenarios, most generally to make sure I carry the right equipment for the job... I pretty much shoot handheld what appears before me... I don't do "set up" shots at all, I pretty much shoot outdoors, and I shoot on specific locations on specific days... I mean, I will be at Volcano National Park next Sunday... I know where I will be, and I know "basically" what I will find as far as geography goes, but I have no idea about the weather conditions, who will be there, etc... I don't know if it will be a "boat day" (when one of the large cruise ships docks at Hilo or Kona...), etc. I have a plan of what I want to get from the day (plant macros, some shots of NeNe geese, HOPEFULLY a 'lo hawk) and I know I am going to be hiking Kilauea Iki crater, but other than that I don't know what will present.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back