Possible 1Ds MK II

darich

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.darich.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm thinking of buying a 1Ds MK II. i'm going to NYC in November but i'm obviously gambling that I'll not pay VAT at customs. Total from B&H comes in at around $7600 (approx £4250)
I noticed that Jessops currently sell the camera for around £4500. If i join my local club i can get 10% off that price making it around £4050 (give or take a few pounds)

Are there any other places in the UK that are reputable and give great deals? or even trade ins?
I'm also about to move house so any purchase would almost definitely be in the summer or even autumn but if I came across a tremendous deal, i could make the purchase just now.

The closer to Glasgow the better but I'm not adverse to mail order.
Any recommendations or ideas?

I use Ffordes a lot: Tel: 01463 783850

They're even in Scotland. Beg for a discount. Tell them Jessops will do it for £4,300 for you, or whatever... blag it. Also you could try LCE, try Andy (Lostprophet), I bought my 20D from them.

Rob

Hi, Are you intrested in just the Body?? Or a deal with lens etc too Darich?

Let me know and I can get you a great price from my wholesalers as your a TPF member.

CBay

it would just be the body i'm interested in.

My L series lenses will work a treat on the new body. However I'd be selling my 10-22mm EF-S lens.

Don't put yourself out too much since i'm just looking at the moment unless the deal is exceptional.

cheers!!!

Looking at it, I think £4050 is a very good deal. Thats proberly the best price you will get. Sorry. Out of intrest how much you going to sell your 10-22mm for?

Rob said:
I use Ffordes a lot: Tel: 01463 783850

They're even in Scotland. Beg for a discount. Tell them Jessops will do it for £4,300 for you, or whatever... blag it. Also you could try LCE, try Andy (Lostprophet), I bought my 20D from them.

Rob

Cheers Rob.
I've checked their site several times in the past and have bought a lens from them a while back. I just searched their site and they don't list a 1ds MKII in stock but i'll keep my eye on them.

The US doesn't do the VAT back thing the way the European countries do it. Not sure why, but the explanation I was given is that it is not a Value-Added Tax, but rather a Sales Tax. ... as though those two aren't the same thing to us as consumers.

iron

my option of avoiding the sales tax is to buy the camera from B&H in NYC. I could get it shipped to a friend in San Francisco so the the sales tax isn't applied.
Then get her to ship it to the UK.
It means i'd be gambling that the camera can travel several thousand miles and not be damaged and that uk customs and excise wouldn't catch it.

i think i'll re-join my local camera club and claim my 10% reduction at Jessops!!!!
At least that way if it goes faulty i can go back and fight in the shop with them :)

Might be a few months away but the more i think about it, the more likely i am to do it!!

Rob - i checked the ffordes website - they sell the 1Ds MKII for £4800. It seems unlikely they'd get even close to the price i could get it at Jessops for - thanks anyway - never does any harm to know of another outlet with good reputation.

i'm thinking about this one too, but probably more in the future. i know canon has some rebates going (I believe the 1dsII has a fairly sizeable cut, but i dont exactly remember), don't forget those. if money is a huge issue, you may want to consider the 5d. it's basically a 1dsII in a 30d body on steroids :D

Money is always an issue :) but I know that if i bought a 5D, within 6months I'd wish i'd paid the extra and got the 1Ds.
However the 5D is a nice camera and is a possible option should i decide that 1Ds is a bit too much.

Most reactions

Back