Possible meaning of this pic

cameigons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Before anything let me say I'm a noob in photography.
Take a look at the cover of this book about photography at Amazon. It's a girl wearing what I believe to be a venetian carnival mask.

So, that's a book about photography, right?.. Its cover must be conveying some deeper meaning about it... right? So would anyone know of the possible relation/symbolism that that photo could have pertaining the concept of photography or being a photographer, I don't know, something along those lines?

The reason I'm asking it is because I have a acquaintance photographer and she's got a set of pictures which are supposed to express something about Photography itself(or, her art), and one of them is very very similar to that one. I could just ask her, but I preferred to come here and ask you guys instead... :D

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
To be honest it's difficult to say too much, as neither of the two links you've provided work. They both end up in a an Amazon 404 Page Not Found error.

I think what they were going for with the cover art was "Buy Me."

Yes, It's a good photo. No, I don't think there is any deeper meaning than 'buy me'.

That's better.

My first guess being able to see both the image and book title is that it demonstrates the creation of a photograph that can be used in publication work, in that there is blank space over which typography can be placed i.e. it's the sort of image that can be sold to a magazine. I don't think it goes further than that. I'm fairly certain there's no attempt at subliminal messages or any other symbolism.

While it is a shot that would be difficult for a beginner to take. No offense to anyone. It is basically a money shot that says like the above have said. Buy me'

Michael

Obviously that woman is a photographer and she bought her fancy gold mask with all the money she made selling her photos.

Ok, thanks for all the answers... I guess you're right, I was reading too much into it.

Obviously that woman is a photographer and she bought her fancy gold mask with all the money she made selling her photos.

heh, those masks aren't very expensive.. at least not the ones with fake jewelry :D

Last edited:
So... what? There ought to be a picture of a guy with a camera?

Cover art is meant to say buy me. Maybe it's just a picture...

So... what? There ought to be a picture of a guy with a camera?

Not at all, I explained my motivation in my first post.. it's not about why that photograph, but if that photograph while placed on the cover of a book about photography would be expressing something (as in a symbolism) I was unable to pick up.

I came to agree with everyone here in that this is not the angle the publishers would look for when choosing a cover for the book, it would rather be just the 'buy me' look (even though both angles wouldn't be necessarily incompatible).

I came to agree with everyone here in that this is not the angle the publishers would look for when choosing a cover for the book, it would rather be just the 'buy me' look (even though both angles wouldn't be necessarily incompatible).

I think you could do both at the same time ("buy me", and some other subliminal message), but I don't think that's the case here. Or, maybe the picture is subliminally saying 'buy me' as well, lol.

I'm sure they also tried to imply that if you buy that book, your pictures will be better and you'll make loads of money.

Masks themselves have several symbolic meanings. The type of mask the woman is wearing is probably designed to invoke connotations of mystery, of things "hidden" from view...as in, the hidden ways to make money from photography. The book is entitled 99 Ways To Make Money From Your Photos, and so, the cover photo is designed to help sell the book. I think the underlying string they are trying to pull is "if I buy the book, I'll be able to "see behind the mask" of the photo-selling industry.

^^^
Wow, I never thought of it like that, but it totally makes sense.

Most reactions

Back