Possible problems with lens or camera- how do I know?

gen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D200 that I have had for 3 yrs. I shoot a lot of action (sports) photos using an older 80-200 (pre digital) nikon lens, the lens does not have VR. I had a lot of trouble getting good shots during the football season, shots that normally would be crystal clear were fuzzy...... yesterday I took the lens out to get some senior portraits of my son, and ALL the photos are fuzzy. I am not good at all the manual settings, but I even played around with a lot of those and still couldn't get any clear shots. I KNOW what this lens is capable of, and I do not know what is wrong. Then on the way home I had the "revelation" of wondering if it could possible be a battery issue. The battery is 3 yrs old, and I recently purchased a new one as backup, but I wondered if the old battery was "weak" and not supplying enough power for the lens to focus fast enough. Does this sound logical? or do I have a problem with the lens? or the camera? and how do I know WHICH one is the problem. Track and softball seasons will be here soon and I need to be able to get good clear shots of my kids. Plus I have a friend wanting me to take wedding pics, but I am scared to committ if I have a possible problem with my equipment!! I would appreciate any suggestions..... I am two hours from the nearest camera shop - and I am not sure if they can help me or if I would have to send to Nikon.

Thanks!
Gen

Are you able to get a sharp, test image from the lens focussing it manually?

I didn't think to try that until late yesterday..... we were already losing a LOT of light, and I wasn't successful in focusing manually, but my visibility at that point was almost zero. I will try manually focusing today after work. What will that tell me? that it is the battery? or another issue? I will also try the new battery this afternoon if weather permits.
Thanks

It's really hard to use a tool effectively, if you don't know how it works.

What focus mode were you using, and what lens aperture?

The battery is not likely to be a part of the problem. At any rate, an easy way to tell if it's because the battery is 3 years old, is to put the new battery in the camera and see if that changes anything. If there is no change, it wasn't the battery.

It could be that some of the optics in the camera for the auto focus system need to be cleaned. Cameras require routine maintanence to remain at peak performance.

The auto focus module is in the bottom of the camera. There is a secondary mirror and a couple of prisms that could be dust covered.

The way to eliminate the lens as a source of your issue is to mount another lens. If you then get well focused shots, it's the lens 80-200 lens, not the camera. If both lenses produce fuzzy shots, it's an issue with either you or the camera.

It will at least show that the lens elements/groups are optically ok.

I had also wondered if something needed to be cleaned. Is this something I can clean? or would I need to take it in to the shop? I definitely don't want to damage anything......

And, I tried the camera in P, A and S modes - non with distinguishable results from the other. I am a newbie when it comes to venturing out of P mode - although I do often make adjustments within the program mode. But i was very frustrated during the season with not getting consistently sharp images like I have been getting in the past. Unfortunately, I only have one other lens, and I am not a fan of it. It is a much slower lens. I did not have it with me last night when we went out on our shoot. I will try to do some playing around tonight with them.

By the way, I was shooting in the late afternoon. We went out to a local industrial area and was shooting near some old buildings, on a railroad bridge, on a railcar, etc. What type of lens would you use for this type of shot? I am wanting to purchase a new lens, and I need one for this type of shooting.............but not sure what would best.

Thanks for the input.
Genna

Something wide-angle and/or a zoom. An 18-55mm or 18-70mm.

Try that other lens on your camera body. See if it's the same problem.
If you hold the lens up to a light in your home, you should be able to see if it's dirty/fungus. Possibly, a scratched or chipped, rear element inside the lens could be the problem (hazy area in the picture at smaller apertures)

I had also wondered if something needed to be cleaned. Is this something I can clean? or would I need to take it in to the shop? I definitely don't want to damage anything......
Have a qualified repair shop clean the entire camera.

As long as the camera has a US serial number, you could send it to Nikon USA Service. They would clean, lubricate, and re-calibrate the camera.

There are independent Nikon authorized repair faclilites too: Nikon Authorized Repair List

Yes the camera and lens were purchased in the US and have US serial numbers. I will check with my local (2 hrs away) dealer and see if they do cleaning, if not, I guess off it will go. Off to try the different lenses, and the new battery and see if either makes a difference................ thanks for the input!!

Most reactions

Back