Possibly a light leak?

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I took some pictures the other night and some pictures had that a "fog" in it but not others.

A picture from that night:

367333125_16c67ed064_b.jpg

Everything was ok...

This was a picture from the same night...

368483954_71cdf64ce5_b.jpg

Although I did use a flashlight in that one..

The next day I decided to finish the roll and decided to use the bulb feature in broad day light on passing traffic, the same thing happened..

Here:

368481074_0f2a4ed506_b.jpg

My question is, could a light leak develop half-way though a roll?

Thanks for the reply. I am using film. It's a Canon EOS 650. From looking at the negitive, it seems like in between the photos with the light, there are big black spots taking up a frame and a half..which bleeds into the pictures...

deffinent leak. I would possibly use a new pod for your film because it might be the film pod itself in the camera.

I'm not sure I know what that is...

Do you process this or did you take it to a lab?

Okay,

If it crosses the spot where the film blanks should be then it is happening most likely from the camera back not having a good seal. If it was a shutter problem it would most likely be inside the film area not the spaces between the film as well.

How old is the camera? did you accidentally open the back and not know it. Was there more than one spot like it. see if the back is loose even after it is locked..

I'm not familiar with the canon so I have no idea how old that model is. Sounds a lot like an open back....

This is a longshot but how long was your exposure? it's possible if you had too long an exposure and your shots were extremely over-exposed that the loght bled over to the other frame. I would shoot another roll in normal comditions before you decide you have a light leak and send the camera out for repair.

Well, as much as I'd love to develop my own film, I can't..so I take it to a wolfs camera.

The back seems to be pretty well sealed, plus it didn't do this on every photo. What you said about the shutter seems to make sense. On some of the pictures taken, the shutter will stick. Sometimes it takes forever for the mirror to come back. Like the ones with the flashlight. But, the ones taken in the day time the shutter was fine, set to 2000, the highest speed available on my camera.

I bought the camera on ebay 2 months ago and this is the first roll this has happened with. I don't know the actual age of the camera. There are 2 black spots towards the end of the roll.

The black spots take up an entire frame. 2 of them. They are 1 frame apart. It does bleed into the frames next to them..

Okay here is my uneducated guess. but first the taking forever is just a slow shutter speed because you are in a very low on light situation. Nothing to worry about.

The black most likely was caused by the processing, but as suggested earlier shoot it again with all daylight. Have just the negs processed to save money on a test.

Then shoot it a inside with low light stuff. and have it processed just negs to save money. If it doesnt happen again dont worry about it. If it does then you might want to have someone look at the camera's back.

I think i would try to shoot some color film since the processing of it might be a little more automated and less likely to be susepatable to leaks. But just for the test after that do anything you like. What you want to know now is just whether this will happen again.

What say you lady

--- plus it didn't do this on every photo. ----The black spots take up an entire frame. 2 of them. They are 1 frame apart. It does bleed into the frames next to them..
That’s likely because then you are holding the camera by the body, doing 1 of 2 think or maybe both. But most likely it is force of your hand pushing on the back that is sealing the leak tight or your hand is blocking the leak, Do the leaks seem to be at the start and end of series of frames shot at one time?

That’s likely because then you are holding the camera by the body, doing 1 of 2 think or maybe both. But most likely it is force of your hand pushing on the back that is sealing the leak tight or your hand is blocking the leak, Do the leaks seem to be at the start and end of series of frames shot at one time?

I had it on a tripod with a shutter release cable and never touched the camera body. mysteryscribe: I did some low light shots messing with exposure and I'll take some daylight ones tomorrow. I'll get back on the results.

I had it on a tripod with a shutter release cable and never touched the camera body. mysteryscribe: I did some low light shots messing with exposure and I'll take some daylight ones tomorrow. I'll get back on the results.

Oh well that’s one of the typical reason for that type of leak pattern

Most reactions

Back