Possibly a light leak?

I agree with the rest, it sounds like a light leak. I would do as mysteryscribe said and shoot some color negative since it is definately automated and you will know if it is in the camera.

Well, I did a roll of B+W and a roll of Color with no "streaks". Except when I put the apature really low in daylight. The Color was in daylight. The B+W did the low lighting.

Questions:

- I messed with the exposure comp and on each shot in low lighting with the apeture set at f/3.5 I saw very little difference until it got REALLY underexposed. The higher the ex. comp went made no difference. Should this be? Should I try it in better lighting?

- I also messed with aperture & shutter speed on the color/daylight roll and I didn't see a difference until the aperture went to like f/3. Nothing really changed when I went to higher apertures, though. Does it make a difference in daylight? Like, going to higher apertures as opposed to lower ones?

- The shutter speeds did however change the subject (passing traffic), but the background stayed in focus, even though I was focusing on the cars. Would shutter speeds only change what you are focused on, or the entire frame? How would I be able to get the background blurry and the subject in focus while the subject is in motion?

I hope thats not too confusing!

Thanks!

Is the pics in your original post the first time you have had this happen?

To answer your questions, with low light situations you are probably running into reciprocity failure, that is light falls off over time. Secondly, if you are changing both aperture and shutter speed you may not actually changing the exposure just the way your camera records it. Lastly, your shutter speed will stop action or not, if you are a long way from the cars you are probably focused on infinity and therefore, most everything else will be in focus beyond.

You need to get close to the cars with a small number aperture (close to wide open) to have the cars in focus and the background out of focus.
Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Yeah, that was the first time it happened. I was pretty far away from the cars...so I can see what you're saying...I'll try again tomorrw. Is there a way to focus moving objects or would auto focus effect what I'm going for?

I changed the modes for the other ones. I used aperture priority for the change in aperture and the shutter priority for the change in shutter speed. So, I wasn't working in fully manual mode. I never changed both at a time for a shot. Could it still just be changing the way my camera records it and not the exposure?

If memory serves me, the smaller the aperture, the greater the DOF or do I have that all wrong?

Most reactions

Back