Possibly the most depressing song ever

To pick on Coldplay here, music is only depressing in the sense that "wow, I can't believe so many people actually like such terrible music!"

Good music, like good art in general, is predicated on making a connection - regardless of content how could you find that depressing? At least, for those who know what depression is and aren't mistaking it simply for something that's sad.

In that vein I'll nominate Via Chicago from Wilco: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJBsuCfErQQ[/ame]

...songwriter, maybe, but best singer? I'd have to disagree with that :lmao:

Yeah I agree, but I said it as "singer/songwriter" being the title of that kind of artist.

Hm...

Noone's mentioned Johnny Cash's take on "Hurt" which cuts to my heart everytime I hear it. There's also REM's "Everybody Hurts."

Oh, and Mary Chapin Carpenter does an acoustic version of "Dancing in the Dark" that's phenomenal and highlights how full of pathos the song really is. And since I'm on Mary Chapin Carpenter, there's also "I Am A Town" and especially "John Doe No. 24".

And don't laugh until after you've heard the song. "Streets of Gold" by Tiffany actually made me cry the first time I actually listened to the lyrics. Yes, that Tiffany. It's off her 2007 album "Just Me". Now y'all know my deepest darkest secret... I never grew out of being a Tiffany fan...

I second "How Soon Is Now" that someone nominated earlier. I'd also throw any number of Pink Floyd songs into the mix.

I love songs that make you feel!

I've never thought of pink floyd as depressing... Maybe "Hey You"

Maybe not "depressing", but some are definitely sad. Like, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" about Syd Barrett's decline into drugs:

Remember when we were young?
You shone like sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes,
Like black holes in the sky,
Shine on you crazy diamond!

And the entire "Final Cut" album is pretty much a downer.

Most reactions

Back