Post Processing a Group of Photos

Vinny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After reading here and other places on the web, it seems that post processing of photos is needed if only just for sharpening.

I'm finally getting to a point where I'm gaining confidence in using my DSLR but notice that my photos are soft out of the camera and realize it's time to learn the processing end.

For a few photos that you want to make them look their best I know to post process them individually. What do you do if you take a bunch of photos (family gathering) that you want to touch up? Do you have a set macro that you run to quickly touch them up?

Thanks!

well...
it depends really, If the photographs are similar enough that you can pp them the same without anything going wrong, sure, set an action for it.
it will be better to process them 1 by 1 though.

Film and slides were so much easier!

What software? Are the photos similar, same lighting, location etc?

It's easy to process a group of photos within lightroom (basic camera raw adjustments anyway). Even if you're just doing them one by one it's a heck a lot quicker to do it in LR then to open them all individually in PS.

RAW and tiff are both the same tbh...
No they aren't. A TIFF is made from the RAW image data the image sensor captured.

once I deleted my RAW file, recovered it and it was .tiff when I recovered it, they are both lossless and can do the same pretty much so doesnt reallu matter anyway.

With slides and film all I had to do is shoot. I sent the slides to Kodak and they came back looking great and for the film I went to 1 of 2 processing places and again they were great. I am not saying the photography was great just the processing!

At this point, if I take family photos it'll be in JPEG. My computer is too old and slow to handle RAW efficiently. It will do it but it is painfully slow.

As far as programs, I am using a product from Serif called PhotoPlus X3. It seems to operate very similar to Adobe Photoshop as anything I have seen on a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to try I can do in PhotoPlus. I am limited by 2 factors here - old computer (again) and money. Only have a 40 G hard drive and don't want to invest anything into this computer and I can't justify spending a lot of money on photo enhancement software.

I just thought there was an easier route!

Film and slides were so much easier!
No they weren't.:lmao:

What file format were the photos made in RAW, TIFF, or JPEG?

RAW and tiff are both the same tbh...
No they aren't. A TIFF is made from the RAW image data the image sensor captured.

once I deleted my RAW file, recovered it and it was .tiff when I recovered it, they are both lossless and can do the same pretty much so doesnt reallu matter anyway.
Sorry, but I don't believe that can happen unless the file was TIFF to begin with.

Tagged Image File Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a TIFF file can be a container holding compressed (lossy) JPEG and (lossless) PackBits compressed images. A TIFF file also can include a vector-based Clipping path (outlines, croppings, image frames). The ability to store image data in a lossless format makes a TIFF file a useful image archive, because, unlike standard JPEG files, a TIFF file using lossless compression (or none) may be edited and re-saved without losing image quality. This is not the case when using the TIFF as a container holding compressed JPEG.
versus

Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A camera raw image file contains minimally processed data from the image sensor of either a digital camera, image scanner, or motion picture film scanner. Raw files are so named because they are not yet processed and therefore are not ready to be printed or edited with a bitmap graphics editor. Normally, the image is processed by a raw converter in a wide-gamut internal colorspace where precise adjustments can be made before conversion to a "positive" file format such as TIFF or JPEG for storage, printing, or further manipulation.
You could use TIFF as an alternative to a RAW file and, assuming lossless compression (which is not a given) and equivilent bit-depth (which is not supported by a lot of software), I wouldn't expect to lose any image quality. However, you would loose the ability to go back and make those "precise adjustments".

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back