Post Processing: Fading a photo (Question)

JosephYaccarino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I really enjoy taking pictures of cars and I have noticed a look that I really love. It is a washed out, old time-y look, but at the same time, holding colors and clarity. I'm not quite sure how to give my photos that sort of look.

Here is one of my shots: Subaru WRX STI

Here is the look I would like to achieve: http://img3.goodfon.su/original/5184x3300/7/1e/bmw-e36-m3-bmv-tyuning-stance-2484.jpg

I am very much a beginner when it comes to using Lightroom to post-process my photos. Do I need to bring down the contrast? Lower the brightness? Any steps in giving this look would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

-Joey

You do it by removing black from the photo. In any image editor use a Curves adjustment and pull the black point up.

curves.jpg

It is most certainly NOT and old time-y look. I'm an old timer and that's one of the first lessons that I learned. We would all encounter that look when we first learned to process and print film. It resulted from either a serious underexposure or really bad film processing. You didn't pass your Photo I class if you didn't learn to at least fix that one.

Joe

Last edited:
You do it by removing black from the photo. In any image editor use a Curves adjustment and pull the black point up.

View attachment 106718

It is most certainly NOT and old time-y look. I'm an old timer and that's one of the first lessons that I learned. We would all encounter that look when we first learned to process and print film. It resulted from either a serious underexposure or really bad film processing. You didn't pass your Photo I class if you didn't learn to at least fix that one.

Joe
Awesome, and thanks for the info. I am still a little bit of a photo noob.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back