Post processing RAW files in Lightroom

SquidHC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon camera and have started shooting in RAW. I can do the post processing in-camera, but would prefer to do it in Lightroom. Can I import RAW files drectle into Lightroom and make the same adjustments as I can in camera, or am I better off just doing it in camera?

LR gives you much more control when post processing RAW files. And you can export to both jpeg and tif formats.

Can I import RAW files drectle into Lightroom and make the same adjustments as I can in camera, or am I better off just doing it in camera?

Absolutely, that's the whole point of LR. Great software. A bit of a learning curve but it's really very good software.

I bought this book after having used LR3 for a few months and watching videos on youtube. The book is excellent too.

Amazon.com: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (9780321700919): Scott Kelby: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Way, way, way better off doing it in LR.

LR will understand your Nikon RAW files without any issues. I myself use LR with my D3100. You absolutely should use LR over your camera for post processing.

Don't even bother with the in camera option. If you have Lightroom you would be crazy not to use it!

Here is what happens when I plug the memory with photos (RAW) to a card reader connected to my PC.

- The PC will ask if you want to launch the Lightroom (LR) importer (I think it could be the same in Mac environment).
- Once the LR started, it will read the memory card
- If there are 40 images in the card and 10 of them are old and had been imported to LR already, the LR will skip those and list the rest of the 30 images and check them for import
- You can uncheck the one you do not want (i.e. heavily out of focus photo) and then hit the import button.
- LR will import the photos to the computer (your predefine location) and then unmount the flash memory card for you so that you can just remove it from the card read right away.
- Now the new photos are in your computer and ready for tagging, POST and whatever functions available in LR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back