Post processing software...

lapequesalsera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im wondering if everyone in this forum uses PS or LR or both? I have LR3 and love it, but I'm wondering if I should invest in PS, it's a lot to pay at front but I wonder if it will get use enough.

I have and use both Lightroom 2 and CS5. I also have CS4 Extended and several other image editing applications including various Photoshop plug-ins like those from Imagenomic, Topaz Labs, Nik, and OnOne.

Lightroom cannot edit pixels and many of it's functions are quite crude compared to what can be done using CS5. For instance, CS5 offers way more options and techniques for image sharpening. Lightroom's sharpening and noise reduction function was designed by Bruce Fraser (R.I.P.) and Jeff Schewe (Pixel Genius, LCC). That sharpening is intended as just the first in a series of sharpening steps, but the remaining steps have to be done in CS5 because Lightroom doesn't have the tools needed. Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

But, CS5 also has a fairly steep learning curve because it does offer so many more options and capabilities.

If you or an immediate family member is a qualifying student/teacher, Adobe offers discounts of up to 80% for students and teachers - Products

Adobe Photoshop Extended CS5 Student and Teacher Edition

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use LR3 and PS Element 9.

For handling RAW files, LR3 on a 64bit pc is preferable.

As an amateur I very much like the Organizer that came with PSE and I wish LR had its features like face recognition, automatic analysis, better video support and the picture albums that transfers to iTune so I can upload to iOS devices and Apple TV.

I barely use PSE's functions.

I use CS4 and love it. LR doesn't offer enough control for me.

I use CS5 extended and lightroom 3. To be honest, I don't care for Lightroom 3 much, but it's useful if you want to edit an entire batch of photos. Plus, PS lets me draw digital art too plus a slew of other things it lets me do.

Sounds like there is really no excuse to get LR instead of PS, I have never used bridge, is is close to what LR is intended?

Bridge isn't anything like LR. Its more like a finder window, it accesses all your images in whatever folders they are already in, and gives extra info like exif. You should download a free trial first, so you can see.

I use both Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3. They do entirely different things. I wouldn't want to edit my photos in Lightroom and I wouldn't want to manage my libraries in Photoshop.

chuasam said:
I use both Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3. They do entirely different things. I wouldn't want to edit my photos in Lightroom and I wouldn't want to manage my libraries in Photoshop.

Unfortunately I can't buy both of them right now, I think I'll stick with PS for a while, thankfully LR is not that crazy expensive.

Elements is not that much.
You could probably find somebody with an old copy you could just use.
I am still using version 4, does everything I need.

Most reactions

Back