POST!!! What Can YOU do with your 10-2X ultra wide range?

sinjans

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im still shopping and do not have my 10-22 yet. I want to know what most of you are doing with your 10-20's? Have you shot any portraits? shoot anything besides landscapes? General opinions. I know its not the go to portrait lens, but if you have shot people with these lenses please post your photos. Thanks

Pumpkin the cat saying "Hey, whats up"

Shot at 22mm
3762464764_165d8e13c5.jpg

Shot at 10mm
3762463304_f27560f293_o.jpg

Shot at 14mm
3587305240_2d9895f2e3_b.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhere between 10-20mm with a sigma (motion blur added in Photoshop)

3852047870_b317faec59.jpg

Somewhere between 10-20mm with a sigma (motion blur added in Photoshop)

3852047870_b317faec59.jpg
Good job with the motion blur! My immediate impression was that the car was moving when it was shot.

I agree. I've seen very few good examples of motion blur added in post, but this is one of them. Great work.

Wow that was unexpected, but thanks! It kinda looks weird though when you notice there isn't a driver in the car, haha!

Good job Fokker. I also notied that the wheels are turning towards you...look out!!!
Also big =twinky thats a decend DOF on the kitty. What brand of lens are you using? and how do you rank it?

I use the Canon 10-22mm and I really like it. I would of picked up the Sigma 10-20, but I had $500 in certificates at a store that doesn't carry Sigma so got the Canon.

No regrets at all. Had one issue with the lens where the zoom ring got tight, sent it in to Canon and without 4 days it was deliverred back to my house, no charged, all fixed.

Im still shopping and do not have my 10-22 yet. I want to know what most of you are doing with your 10-20's? Have you shot any portraits? shoot anything besides landscapes? General opinions. I know its not the go to portrait lens, but if you have shot people with these lenses please post your photos. Thanks

Hai. Please tell the people that have told you that to suck it.

Thats what im talking about Village! I like what you've done with some of those. Ans i will tell them to suck it. :lmao:

I think that portrait distortion has more to do with how close you are to your subject than the field of view... obviously the closer you are to your subject, the more distortion you're going to experience. The reason wide lenses get a bad rap is that to fill the frame in the same way as a telephoto lens, you have to be really close, which makes the distortion quite bad. Try doing a head shot with a 10mm lens, and you'll see what I'm talking about. As long as you're photographing most or all of the person's body, you're usually far enough away that the distortion isn't all that bad. It also seems to be less noticeable on profile shots or at weird angles.

Controlling the distortion with a wide angle lens is about controlling the centerpoints. 'In close and wide' is a pretty popular style these days and if you keep the subject near the midlines, you can definitely reduce the distortion. Anyway, this was done with a sigma 10-20mm:

zoe_spotlight_8x10.jpg

avshadow.jpg

Canon 30D, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 @ 10mm, f/7.1, 1/500sec, ISO 125

If you would like a compendium of ideas, try this link:

http://www.10-20mm.com

I love my 10-20.

Last edited:
I think that portrait distortion has more to do with how close you are to your subject than the field of view... obviously the closer you are to your subject, the more distortion you're going to experience. The reason wide lenses get a bad rap is that to fill the frame in the same way as a telephoto lens, you have to be really close, which makes the distortion quite bad. Try doing a head shot with a 10mm lens, and you'll see what I'm talking about. As long as you're photographing most or all of the person's body, you're usually far enough away that the distortion isn't all that bad. It also seems to be less noticeable on profile shots or at weird angles.

I think general "Wide angle is bad for portraiture" comes from the distortions you can get with it, and not the fact that yes, it can be controlled. But more often than not, when I break out wide for portraits, I'm looking for that distortion or goofiness to a degree and that's why I do it.

My outlook is that you shouldn't let "the rules" deter you from doing what you want to; if you do you may just miss that shot or that style that you would've gotten by only breaking "the rules"

Most reactions

Back