post your Canaon "picture stlye" settings w/pic "D" series only

AE86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello I'm curious what everyone has or hasn't adjusted their picture style settings to on their Canon camera.

I've adjusted mine and I'm happy most of the time.

I only want responses from the "D" series only 20D-50D + 1,5,7D

Give a brief description of info along with an unedited photo. (lens, f#, wb, and of course picture style) and maybe ISO if you feel that is important.

I have a 30D and a 7D
here are my settings. (if its not listed i haven't changed it)

Faithful has +1 in Saturation
I like this one for night shots under very "clean" white light.

User Def1:Started as Landscape
Sharpness: +5 (was +4)
Contrast: +3 (was 0)
Saturation: +3 (was 0)
Color tone: +3 (was 0)
I use #1 to get super bright greens and blues. Makes anything out doors look almost tropical. It is what i use about 70-80% of the time but the other 20-30% of times it looks to weird.

User Def2: Started as Faithful (all were 0)
Sharpness: +2
Contrast: +1
Saturation: +1
Color tone: +1
I use #2 if something is looking pretty bland, but when i don't want something overly vibrant.

User Def3: Started as Landscape
Sharpness: +5 (was +4)
Contrast: +2 (was 0)
Saturation: +3 (was 0)
Color tone: +2 (was 0)
I use #3 if i want to boost the greens a little less or it happens to be the grass is already greener! Second choice to number 1.

Thank you!

I will post more photos and info when i get them up loaded

for you copy and pasting pleasure:

Camera:
Lens:
Aperture:
shutter speed:
white balance:
Picture Style:
Adjustments:

Camera: 30D
Lens: Canon EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Aperture: f14
shutter speed: 3.2 seconds
white balance: Fluorescent
Picture Style: Faithful
Adjustments: Saturation: +1

4287584888_fa4fc91c9e_b.jpg

My opinion/suggestion is to shoot RAW and not worry about all that in-camera hoo haw.

definitely, why would you.. how do you say.. worry about all that in-camera hoo haw if you can shoot raw and do everything at home exactly as you want it?

The XSI is actually know as a 450D, so the Rebel line are also D series cameras :)

And as said by others, I shoot RAW only. To me, shooting in JPG is similar to shooting in the Portrait, Scene or other preset modes. They can work for standard situations, but I much much prefer to actually have control over how my images are taken and how they look

Actually whilst I also shoot RAW I make sure to keep my camera's mode so that all the sliders are set to 0 - I think its called neutral or faithfull (I changed the sliders myself so one of those two settings is different to default).
This is important as when you take a RAW shot the camera processes and adds a JPEG to that RAW and that jpeg image is what you see on the back of the camera; what the histogram shown in the camera and also the preview image shown in your computer browers is based upon.

Thus when shooting I have it setto this so that when I review the histogram in the camera to check the exposure its as neutral as possible - thus I get as real a view of the shot as I can to review.

Then like the others above I can (have to!) go into RAW editing and process the image and I am able to set the sliders to what I choose them to be for each shot. This is very empowering and really gives you the freedom to define and control the shot to be as real or as artistic as you choose to make it - rather than being forced down a certain path by the limited controls in the camera. It also means I can rapidly shift styles and sujbects without having to go into the camera's menu to change the shoot processing - I can shoot review and then edit later and keep on shooting.

:thumbup: +1 Another Raw shooter here. When the camera is making the decisions instead of the photographer, you are sacrificing something.

I have seen the work these guys have posted, and I can truly say it is RAW.:mrgreen:

i recently started using raw, and man is it awesome! so much easier than "in camera" hoohaw

I'm too absent minded to remember to change my color settings between shooting situations. . . . .

Yep you've definitely asked this question on the wrong forum :)

You'll find nearly every semi-seasoned amateur here will have migrated away from the very limiting in-camera settings.

Most reactions

Back