Post your favorite horizontal orientation portraits

So please, in the interest of NOT derailing a thread, if you don't have any horizontal orientation portraits to add, would you mind starting your own thread on the subject if it's one that really interests you? I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful. But derailing threads was the primary reason you were banned, and I wouldn't want that to happen again. Just trying to look out for you.

OUCH! And no.. that was not why I was banned! I was banned for giving an accurate description of my feelings toward someone!

And I do the occasional portrait.. but I normally don't post client's work on here.

That's a shame, because I'd be really interested in seeing your client work. I'm sure a lot of other members would too.

Take care, Charlie.

I usually turn down jobs, Tyler.. because I don't really want to shoot people. I haven't done a formal portrait session in MANY years (as in full studio setup)... and have no real intention of doing so in the future. I have even tried to throw work at Robin.. because I don't want it! I don't need it!

I prefer my preferred subjects.. but that doesn't mean I don't know what a portrait is... or that I shouldn't voice my opinion on it, any more than that keeps many people from commenting on Macro shots (knowledgable or otherwise!) :) I enjoyed seeing many of these shots... some are excellent.. some are not...

For a modeling portfolio:

jMGkpgIsE0tit.jpg

Engagement:

iDOJ2hcCgJruM.jpg

A friend of mine at a wedding

ibgZI4Zg0FApqX.jpg

Tyler! Nice pics :)

and who cares if people are 'photographically illiterate'. Aren't most non photographers? People can appreciate good paintings if they aren't painters, good sculptures if they aren't sculptors, good architecture if they aren't architects. Personal preference guys. You don't like it fine! Don't do it. But don't attack those that do.

to stay on track. An oldie back from about a month after I got my dslr.
IMG_4765.jpg

Here a bunch a shot i quickly took from my site.
Hope this help some people figuring what they like in horizontal shots.

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

A few random horizontals!

Attachments

• $01-04-2012-179-CMWeB-copy.jpg
    $01-04-2012-179-CMWeB-copy.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 189
  • $flawlessskin.jpg
    $flawlessskin.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 179
  • $Jul102012_6967-bw-web.jpg
    $Jul102012_6967-bw-web.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 199
Hope this isn't unsuitable for this thread but i once read animal shots can be classed as portraits (if I am wrong sorry)

Deep in thought by jaomul, on Flickr

I shot this last night, and as I tripped off the shot, I was thinking about this thread...I saw the scene and recognized that it was well-suited for a horizontal composition, since my subject's body positioning was significantly wider than it was tall, and would thus be best-framed with the camera oriented horizontally. Had this been framed the wrong way, it would have lopped off her compact, and she would have been amputated at the wrist. I didn't have a zoom lens on the camera, so I just focused and shot.

9107_PROOF_CROP.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com

I shot this last night, and as I tripped off the shot, I was thinking about this thread...I saw the scene and recognized that it was well-suited for a horizontal composition, since my subject's body positioning was significantly wider than it was tall, and would thus be best-framed with the camera oriented horizontally. Had this been framed the wrong way, it would have lopped off her compact, and she would have been amputated at the wrist. I didn't have a zoom lens on the camera, so I just focused and shot.

9107_PROOF_CROP.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com

Very nice, Derrel.. and shot horizontally for a reason! I like it!

Here's one that was taken horizontally because of lack of thought :D Haha.. If I were to guess.. I think I just wanted the ball player (Michael Cuddyer) in the background of the shot... I couldn't tell you for sure because this was my 3rd Twins game in 3 days last year when it was INSANELY hot... and we party pretty damn hard.. I was half in the bag.. I guess I don't mind it in this orientation, just wish I fit his ear completely in the left side of the frame.. hmm maybe I could fix that.. Anyhow, this is a concessions worker that stopped at the bottom of the stairs to take a quick rest.. His job had to SUCK this day.
$concessionman4x3.jpg
Edit: Replaced 3:2 with 4:3 crop.... No idea why it's still showing the old "attatched thumbnail"

Attachments

• $concessionman.jpg
    $concessionman.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back