Post your ONE favorite moon picture

Marc Kurth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been done to death already. I thought that I would open an invitational thread for people to show their moon pictures - WITH data so others can learn how each shot was done.

MY contribution is to show that while cheaper equipment can't compete with the high end stuff, you can still have fun and get passable results:

D70, Sigma 300mm zoom w/1.4x, 1/250, f9, no MLU, no tripod (propped on the roof of my pickup on a towel)

6613.jpg

Who's next? Post your images

Marc

This is from a lunar eclipse last year:

2281525606_9f917ae7d8_o.jpg

And closer up on the moon:

2280734069_fb83178412_o.jpg

Sw1tchFX,

Neat effect in that first one in particular. Aircraft with long exposure I assume?

I spent some time on your Flickr page last night, you have some really interesting work there, Sir.

Marc

....show that while cheaper equipment can't compete with the high end stuff, you can still have fun and get passable results...

Who's next? Post your images
Ok, you want cheap? Here's cheap....

My only decent shot. I haven't been able to replicate even though I now have a tripod....

Cheap $200 Fuji S5700 Superzoom Bridge camera.
Handheld in freezing cold temperatures.
ISO 100
f/3.5
1/1000 shutter

20080118MoonDSCF1264.jpg

wow that is a really good moon picture.... how did you get it so big and clear

nice.... i have to try that sometime

mrodgers,

Now that's cool. I'd love to see it cropped even a bit larger if you think the file can handle it. That has to be the best I've seen with a camera/lens combo in its class. I had a Fuji S602 years ago and was able to produce some very respectable, marketable images, so I've never looked "down" on smaller cameras!

Thanks for posting that one

Marc

Last edited:
Marco,

I was hoping someone would bring out the big guns!

I opened the larger version and sat there studied the details for a very long time. This is a very impressive image.

What would be the effective focal length of this shot?

Marc

Amazing Marco!
Great pictures in this thread!

Marco,

I was hoping someone would bring out the big guns!

I opened the larger version and sat there studied the details for a very long time. This is a very impressive image.

What would be the effective focal length of this shot?

Marc

Focal length would have been 2000mm. 1000mm scope with a 2x barlow.
It's actually 2 shots, stitched together in photoshop, couldn't quite get it all in 1 frame. I think I took this one with the 1DMk2n.

Most reactions

Back