Post your street shots thread

Nikon FM, 35 F2D, HC110 B, Rapid Fix, Epson V800

1. My new bud, Wayne. He was a over the road truck driver for 30+ years and has been challenged with health issues that required surgeries. He is literally disabled now and trying to earn a little extra on the street by making key-chains and other art works out of petosky stones. He only had a few left when I shot this. We talked for a while. Genuine, kind man, and gentle soul. We shared a coffee and a cheese danish. I was proud to take his picture, I will be looking for him in the future.
Wayne Birko.jpg

2. Window Seats
Window seats.jpg

3. When you don't drink and go into a bar to get a bite, they always have to make a fresh pot of coffee for my order.

Fresh Nasty Coffee
Fresh Coffee.jpg

Took two images of leasing office in Ann Arbor. Student housing property. Nikon FM, 35 f2D. TriX pushed 1 stop.

img054E-01.jpeg

img055E-01.jpeg

More Fuji Stuff:

One skill I would like to develop is how to take portraits of people in their natural element where they know they are being photographed and are actually looking into the lens but do not have the look someone who is posing. Like number 6 and 7.

More Fuji Stuff:

One skill I would like to develop is how to take portraits of people in their natural element where they know they are being photographed and are actually looking into the lens but do not have the look someone who is posing. Like number 6 and 7.
I would encourage you to read up on zone focus. Not for everyone. I try to have my aperture, shutter speed, and focus distance set ahead of time, then it's just a matter of when someone is in that focus zone, just lift camera up to eye and shoot. It takes practice but worth it IMO. You can practice anywhere. I typically practise in my backyard using digital, then execute out on the street. You don't have to do it that way but it allows you to get close to the subject and rip off a frame before they realize what's going on. I shoot mostly film on the street and my cameras are manual focus. However, I use the same approach with my Fuji digital for consistency.

More Fuji Stuff:

Those were shot with a manual focus, 8mm fisheye on an APS-C sensor. The benefit of the fisheye is with the extreme DOF, zone focusing is easier than manual focusing. But with a fish you have to get really close to the subject. I don't like to crop in post. Unless I have something extraordinary, I will dump an image rather than crop to save it. The fish is the only lens I use with zone focus. Here is an old gallery of some stuff I shot, back in the film only days, which sorta fits your criteria: On Broadway.

Last edited:
More Fuji Stuff:

I would encourage you to read up on zone focus. Not for everyone. I try to have my aperture, shutter speed, and focus distance set ahead of time, then it's just a matter of when someone is in that focus zone, just lift camera up to eye and shoot. It takes practice but worth it IMO. You can practice anywhere. I typically practise in my backyard using digital, then execute out on the street. You don't have to do it that way but it allows you to get close to the subject and rip off a frame before they realize what's going on. I shoot mostly film on the street and my cameras are manual focus. However, I use the same approach with my Fuji digital for consistency.
One of the reasons I shoot Street is for the challenge. Street is extremely challenging. Often it is coming at you from all sides, all the time. Street is such a target rich environment that often it is tough just to select a subject. I don't zone focus because I want the challenge of shooting Street my way. Street is not easy and the only way for most of us to develop consistency is to shoot and shoot and shoot.

@Gary A. those shots are all simply "a cut above". Each one super-interesting to explore, I'm so glad you shared them.

Most reactions

Back