Posted

BLS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first digital camera is less than a week old, and I'm still trying to understand it. Went for a walk with it to experiment with different white balance settings. Shot this scene and decided I liked it. What do you think?

PostedSign.jpg

It's obviouls the sky is washed out, and there is a branch sticking out of nowhere. Other than that I like it.

Yeah, the sky does look washed out. But that's the way it was. The day was one of those dreary, overcast mid-winter days that we have a lot of here.

I agree about the branch. I wondered what people's reactions to it would be.

I plan to retake this shot, so anyone else's comments would be appreciated so I can make the retake better. thanks.

If the sky is overcast like that, try to frame your shots so that the sky does not overpower your photos. For example, if you got much closer to the sign and cropped out most of the sky & background...the blown out sky would not be so much of a problem.

Another alternative would be to get higher and shoot downward. This way you don't get the sky into the frame at all. There are some nice colors & tones there that would look really good if the sky was not overpowering them in the photo.

try putting a black border around it. that branch out of the top does spoil it, but the border might help it a bit. Can't really crop it out cuz of the sign.

I hope you don't mind, but I tried to take out the branch in PS and cropped it just a little. Let me know what you think.

postedsignedited4nz.jpg

^ I think it is a heap better without the branch.

I don't mind the washed out sky to much as it gives the picture a cold eerie feeling of abandonment.

Throw that black border around it without the branch the bright yellow sign against the muting earth tones looke great together.

Thanks for all the help. It does look better without the branch, Josh.

Not sure what my approach will be when I retake the shot. I might literally crop out the branch (as in -- pruning shears or loppers) if I can reach it somehow. I might change my point of view as Big Mike suggests. I might also wait for a better sky AND change my POV.

Funny thing. The skies here have been overcast and featureless since Christmas. At this rate I'll be old before we get a decent sky! That's what I get for getting a new camera.

I liked the branch... I woulda darkened the sky to make it look more overcast. Sorry.. Hate to be the odd one out but my Fuji S7000 always blows the sky out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back