Poster size photo?

mustangman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
tech.groups.yahoo.com
I am going to order from a place that changes the photo and makes into art for the wall. I think if this one comes out good will be all my christmas presents this year. Which one u like best?
It will look like this on canvas.
Click on to see larger.

i decide the size i want then use photoshop to increase the image size to my poster size.
when you're increasing the size do it several smaller steps rather than one large step - the interpolation is better that way i believe.

i also put a border with an image title in the poster so the actual photo doesnn't need to be increased to the full size of the poster.

check the "purchase" section of my website to see what i mean.

the other factor that you'll need to remember is the size of the original will have a large bearing on how big you can print. the higher the resolution of the original then the larger the poster you can print.

I used a Canon Digital Rebel and then a Canon 20D and regularly got prints 30inches by 20inches and the looked fine.
I've now upgraded my camera so if need be i could print largere again.

I have a 5mp P&S and a D50 (6mp) and also have 20 x 30's of 2 shots I've done. I cropped them in photoshop to fit that aspect ratio and unless I get REALLY close I don't notice any flaws... even close up they're not obvious. I know there is a mathematical way to determine photo size based upon the cameras resolution but what's "ideal" vs. what looks fine at a normal distance differ in my opinion. My suggestion would be to just take the chance with the money, get the print however big you want it and decide how good it looks. If it looks like crap you'll know it.

I forget where I got mine blown up that big. I'm not sure of any sites that do poster sizes though I'm sure others do if anyone can post some links.

Torus34 said:
Is there any rule of thumb relating resolution to maximum acceptable print size?

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I know some people who will not enlarge 6mp beyond 8x10, but I have printed 6mp at 20x30" and found it to be acceptable.

Torus34 said:
Is there any rule of thumb relating resolution to maximum acceptable print size?

The visual quality of a 300dpi print is considered to be on a par with a chemical photo print from a 35mm frame. I.o.w.: razorsharp at 8 inches viewing distance (for someone with 20/20 vision).

The 'maximum acceptable print size' is dependant on the criterion you set for it.
Do you need a poster to be razorsharp at 8 inches viewing distance? Then you need 300dpi. Know the poster's size? Then you can calculate how many pixels – width and height – your file needs to be: H U G E !

But I submit nobody looks at/judges a poster from 8 inches viewing distance. So a 150dpi poster will very probably suffice.
Next time you see a billboard next to the road, get out of your car and walk up to it. You'll find you can easily distinguish the individual dots/pixels. I'd be surprised if it were much finer than 15 (yes, fifteen!) dpi!
Bottomline: it is the viewing distance – not the print size! – that determines the required resolution.

Actually, I don't know anything about ratios and all this, but I had some of my pics taken in New York enlarged to (in cm) 30 x 40 (don't know how much that would be in inches) and they are fine (mailed them to a processing lab). I never worried about anything, just saved them at 12 - maximum after having put them through Photoshop, never even used USM back then, and they still came out really sharp. A 30 x 40 is not really-really POSTER size, but was the largest that service had on offer.

And some of those photos had been taken with my little 5mb Powershot...!

LaFoto said:
...enlarged to (in cm) 30 x 40 (don't know how much that would be in inches)

That's about 12 x 16 for us who use inches.

Does anyone know a site that prints out larger than sized shots? I thought webshots used to but I don't think they go over 8 x 10 anymore.

Doing some research online about enlarging to poster size I found a couple of sites that can modify the picture and make look like water color, oil painting etc. They will even put on canvas and frame. Anyone know about sites like that? Any good? This would be for a gift for mom so want it to be good.

Digital Matt said:
I know some people who will not enlarge 6mp beyond 8x10, but I have printed 6mp at 20x30" and found it to be acceptable.

I recently made some 8x10 prints from my 6MP D70. I think I'd be extremely happy with the results from a significantly larger print. How much larger? That has yet to be tested.

mustangman said:
[...] a couple of sites that can modify the picture and make look like water color, oil painting etc. They will even put on canvas and frame. [...]

You can do that modifying yourself. In Photoshop, or any of a dozen other editors. That way you keep as much control as possible over what it'll look like. And you can preview on-screen at home at your leisure! It's also cheaper. And you will then have reduced your worries to where and how you're gonna get it printed and framed. A simpler puzzle to solve, imho.
Unless you prefer to throw money at it, of course.

Don't print a 'watercolor' on canvas!

DTPrip231006-0058.jpg

Cézanne?

I emailed the web site http://photofiddle.com/ to see if they can print water color print on canvas of a photo of my daughter. This is gift for my wife of our 2 year old daughter. They said that it is not really water colors but looks like it. I can also do it as oil painting or other style. Anyone know about this site?

W.Smith said:
You can do that modifying yourself. In Photoshop, or any of a dozen other editors. That way you keep as much control as possible over what it'll look like. And you can preview on-screen at home at your leisure! It's also cheaper. And you will then have reduced your worries to where and how you're gonna get it printed and framed. A simpler puzzle to solve, imho.
Unless you prefer to throw money at it, of course.

Don't print a 'watercolor' on canvas!

Cézanne?

Most reactions

Back