posting and commenting

Conk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cloverdalephotography.com
I hope that I'm not going to come off as a whiner here but I have a small issue I'd like to bring up to forum members.

I have just returned to this forum from a 2 year hiatus. I have no recollection as to why I left in the first place. But given the fact that upon returning, I posted images in 3 separate threads, which only one got replies, the other two have disappeared to the second page without even a "nice" or "blah" quote. This would make me wonder if this is why I left in the first place. I'm not saying I'm about to leave this time because of such a thing, and I may very well be overly sensitive, but I believe that if you are going to post images to share it is only fair to respond with a reply to others who post thier works. This doesn't mean "all" posts but an effort should be put forth to let people know you took a look and appreciate what you saw. Personally I do not post images on forums because I need a place to simply display them. I can do that by putting them on my own walls at home. I post my images because I am proud of my achievement and want to share with fellow photographers that can appreciate them. This does not mean I am asking for critique. If I wanted that I would post in the appropriate forum when I feel the need to make more improvements in my photography. However, I am always open to critical feedback no matter which forum I post.
I will not bring this up again wether my images are replied to or not. I will however continue to give feedback and respond to others posted images regardless.

I think your comments are fair and there are probably many many reasons behind this situation. I've talked to many people who feel they aren't in a position to be commenting or giving advice simply because they don't know enough and are here to learn as well. If this is the case, I urge those people to comment anyway. It helps even if you are commenting as a casual observer, regardless of your photograhic skills.

The other issue here is how quickly posts drop onto the second page now. This is a little more difficult. We are considering splitting the gallery into different topics and I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this idea. Do you think it would help keep posts from so quickly falling down to page two and beyond?

Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to more comments.

Chase said:
I think your comments are fair and there are probably many many reasons behind this situation. I've talked to many people who feel they aren't in a position to be commenting or giving advice simply because they don't know enough and are here to learn as well. If this is the case, I urge those people to comment anyway. It helps even if you are commenting as a casual observer, regardless of your photographic skills.

The other issue here is how quickly posts drop onto the second page now. This is a little more difficult. We are considering splitting the gallery into different topics and I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this idea. Do you think it would help keep posts from so quickly falling down to page two and beyond?

Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to more comments.

I agree with your view on why people may not comment. It is too bad that people will not comment because they feel they are inexperienced and feel they do not know enough. Like you said, Those people should comment anyway as a casual observer. All people need to say what it is in particular they like about the photo. If you can't put a finger on it then a simple "very nice" will do. Sometimes I am hurried when commenting on threads and will reply to images with only a "Well done!" or "very nice" but it's better than saying nothing. Nothing to me says "this image isn't worth commenting on".
Some people may thing that feedback as such isn't very constructive and that nothing can be learned from it but that's where the Critique forum comes in. Expect to hear what you might not want to hear.It's not personal.
As far as separating the forums into different categories go, sure that can keep posts from moving to the next page but too many topics can be a bad thing. The Photo Forum has quite a few forum topics now. Can you imagine another 4-6? It's a tough one.

I'm a little bit reluctant on dividing the photo gallery by 'subject' like having a section for "flowers", "sunsets" and stuff like that. Because personally I usually don't like flower photos but in the Photo Gallery I never know what I'm going to stumble across and inspire me. Someone's flower photos I found one day actually inspired me to take my own. That probably wouldn't have happened if I'd just stuck in the 'landscape' section.

But that said, something needs to be done. I go in there and I'll see something like 5 threads with a single comment and I'll get round to commenting on a couple which I love to do - because I'm not being influenced by any one elses comments. But it's time consuming coming on this forum because there are so many posts and sometimes I just want to see if my favourites have posted a new photo.

Actually, I make a great effort on days when I have the time to do so to comment on as many photos as I possibly can, fearing at the same time that I might come across as conceited when almost all of page 1 "features" LaFoto as the last to comment on photos.

But I comment as much because - very much like you, Conk, - I know that we want some feedback. Else we would not display our work here, in a public internet forum, but at home on our walls. I quite, quite agree.

However, I am one who would (hopefully!) never only give a photo a "Well done!" remark. Before I say as little as that, I much rather say nothing at all. So here you get the story told from the other side, and by someone who wants to write at least one whole and meaningful sentence about a photo, pointing out what it is I like about a photo, much rather than only say that I like it. (Mind you, you will never hear me say that I don't like a photo on here, before I would do that, I'd rather think that "silence is golden"!)

Weekend days are notorious for "few answers", since many people are doing something other than spending their time in front of their computers. So don't take weekends as the right time to get slightly annoyed with "No replies"-situations.

Chase, I would not advise you to sub-divide the Gallery. It's main asset is the great variabitily, the fact that you get to see all kinds of photography, things you would not care to look at in the first place (for me it's airplanes and cars, for example), things that go against your own photographic "eye" (you get to think about matters of personal taste and such) and so on and on. Leave it as it is.

What might help this board in the long run is a chop of all the ancient old threads that started two years ago.

Other than that maybe members should be advised to also go to Page 2 to look at photos there. When the date of "thread started" is only two days ago even on Page 3, there might be some interesting "treasures" that got overlooked. (But then I know that many members here are a lot more rushed than I am, for example).

I agree, we need the diversity of the Photo Gallery.

:lol: I love seeing that big long line of LaPhoto. It's made me giggle quite a few times. Keep it up! I think it's great you really take the time to personally comment on each photo and not just write 'good work' or the like.

Is there a way to have the date written of when it was originally posted as well as when the last person commented on it?

Appreciate all this feedback, guys. :thumbup: As Chase mentioned, there has been some discussion as to whether or not to subdivide the gallery sections, but we're letting it lay for the time being.

Conk, some of what you're seeing is what LaFoto touched on: it is time-consuming to give a thoughtful critique. I'm sure that, without meaning it as a signal to other members that their images aren't worthy of comment, it has become faster and simpler for many folks to look for posts from those who become their "favorites". :) And as you've noticed, this forum has grown in membership since you originally joined, and while growth is desired, we're experiencing some growing pains, too. ;)

I don't think the critique forum was around when you first joined; that was the initial effort to keep the more casual posts separated from those seeking more in-depth critique. We know the lines have gotten a bit fuzzy and JonMikal, as our new moderator of those forums, is trying to clarify things and be a little more strict about the policies.

I'd like to suggest to everyone that, if you have posted images that you'd really like to see some feedback on, in any of the galleries, please feel free to just bump it up for another round if it's fallen to the second page with no comments. It's helpful, too, in the main gallery, if you include your thoughts behind an image, whether or not you're seeking feedback, or like it as is and are just sharing. :)

Thanks for the input, all, keep your cards & letters coming! :D

Some very good points have been made here. I honestly think the main reason threads go by without comment is because of the sheer volume of the posts we do get. I personally do not have time to go to every one most of the time. In fact, if I'm going through a week in which I'm working 8am-11pm 5 days out of that week, I often don't go into the galleries at all. I keep telling myself I'm going to make it a point too, but it's so hard when time is getting to be a luxury.

Oh, and when I'm at work, I'm technically not supposed to be browsing the net! :biglaugh: and I have a slower connection, so I rarely go into the galleries then, either!

terri said:
it has become faster and simpler for many folks to look for posts from those who become their "favorites".

I've been lurking here for sometime, having only recently joined, and wanted to make a comment on this.

It's easy to fall into this situation but you really miss a lot of new talent. I've seen some amazing photos posted by folks with less than a "50" post count, not speaking of myself since I've only posted one pic.

This happens on many forums, and while unintentional, it gives newcomers a sense of exclusion.

Time is at a premium for a lot of us these days but try to look for at least one new name from time to time, have a look and leave a comment. I know they will appreciate it and encourage them to share more often.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope no one is offended.

Danny

A lot of the problem, as has been mentioned, is the sheer volume of posting that can go on in here.
I once posted one pic just before I went to bed and when I woke up next morning it was already down the bottom of page 2! With a throughput like that it is quite easy to have pictures disappear without comment.
A lot of the time - despite having broadband - the forum loads real slow on my computer and and opening a thread, looking and posting a comment can take 5 minutes. And there are other sections that need my attention as well.
Chase hasn't explained the 'splitting of forums' idea fully. The intention wouldn't be to have seperate subjects - like flowers and sunsets - but to introduce something along the lines of a 'snapshot' section. This would give a forum for critique, a forum for pictures you want to have taken seriously and a forum for 'I saw this and thought it was funny/interesting/cute' kind of stuff.
If we do nothing and leave the Forum as is then people are just going to have to accept that pictures are going to disappear without raising a comment.
The only other alternative is to ask people to exercise restraint and show some consideration for others by limiting the number of pictures they post per day or per week. Or perhaps putting all their pictures into one thread in the Photo Gallery instead of posting them individually.
The problem is that whatever happens - do nothing/split forum/limit posting - some people are going to be upset.
But we do need to hear everyone's views - even if it just to identify the least unpopular route.

danny said:
I've been lurking here for sometime, having only recently joined, and wanted to make a comment on this.

It's easy to fall into this situation but you really miss a lot of new talent. I've seen some amazing photos posted by folks with less than a "50" post count, not speaking of myself since I've only posted one pic.

This happens on many forums, and while unintentional, it gives newcomers a sense of exclusion.

Time is at a premium for a lot of us these days but try to look for at least one new name from time to time, have a look and leave a comment. I know they will appreciate it and encourage them to share more often.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope no one is offended.

Danny
Good point, and I know exactly what you mean. Some people with a great deal of talent join, post a few excellent images, and then (sadly) we don't see them again. I can definitely recall a couple of instances like that.

I think the exclusion issue can really best be overcome by sticking around, posting more and getting to know some members, while letting others know you. It may seem to take longer in a forum this size, maybe, but everyone here has had a first post. :)

Thanks for posting, Danny, please continue to participate!

You know I think there's only so much you can do to make people stick around.
I remember my first post all those months ago (hehehe). I got an absolute bashing for my photo - but looking back it deserved it. It was only constructive comments but I was just a naive little girl then and got put off posting another photo for a few weeks. I've also posted photos and got absolutely no comments but you know, I've realised that this is a very busy board and we do have a lot of guests too - so that may account for the high view / low comment thing happening.

I don't know if the business problem is a restraint issue from people (although it may help) - i think it's just because there are so many people. I'm on another forum where there are thousands and thousands of members and it is absolutely crazy. You refresh the screen and there are 50 new threads started! And because of that the place has become seriously strict (I've whinged about them before - remember they wanted me to take a TPF link out of my signature - well just yesterday a different mod actually deleted my sig without even warning me).

Anyway, I did have a point when I started but I've forgotten it so I'll stop rambling.

I've made this same comment on other forums, and left them quickly after getting no reply at all. It seems like the issue has been broken down to a time thing. My advice would be to keep posting, if you make an effort and comment on others work they will be more likely to comment on yours. Keep posting pics up, I know I try to go through at times and comment on those with few replies, and there are others that do the same.

Also remember this is a holiday weekend so it seems that there are a flood of posts recently. Things will slow up ;) Also keep in mind the amount of members there are here as well...at many forums most posts go unlooked and few get responded to...this is one of the rare ones that it works the opposite way :)

As for the categories thing I REALLY REALLY like the idea. Not sure exactly how you all were considering breaking it down, but if it were like portraits, landscapes, misc, animals, archietecture...you know really broad categories I think that would help a great deal! Posts would be more likely to be looked at it seems, and looked at by people that intentionally want to see a landscape or portrait and that could better comment :) I think it's a swell idea!!!

If you will accept some comments from someone that is really really new to TPF... like I just started posting today. :D

I've been on and am still on, a number of forums. I've been on some for years and others for a shorter time. I've seen a number of different forum setups, some work and in my opinion, some didn't. Software was a very limiting factor, but I know that this forum software has a lot of flexibility.

In almost all cases that I've seen, any forum that has the number of postings that I've seen on this site, has had to split up their photo section. I've been browsing the reading areas during the last week before I was able to post and didn't really pay much attention to the photo area as far as number of posts until I started looking for a spot to post my first image. Then I saw all of the "posted today" messages. On average, most people will not go back more than 3 pages unless they are bored or have a lot of time. If that was all they came here for, it might be different, but you actually have some good discussion areas that attract for attention.

I don't care for the places I've been on that have a section for just about every catagory you can think of... but I do like those sites that break it up into broader areas, as mentioned above. People, Animals, Places, Things... or even People, Places and Other. Spreading it out too much dilutes all the areas. But you will find that having at least a few catagories will make it better for everyone.

I photograph a wide area of subjects... from flowers to scenics, to dogs, to events to still life. I rarely do people portraits, although I use to. Although I will usually not post to a thread to just do the "me too" comment, I will try to post to those that seem to have been overlooked... especially if I can help with a question or a problem. And though I can give short "great job", "very nice", "very interesting", type comments, I do tend to get a bit wordy in my attempt to explain why I am saying what I said. Just look at this message. :D

Anyway, just another thought or two. I tripped across this forum while looking for new sites (some of my current haunts have gotten a bit boring as sites have a tendency to do from time to time) to try out. I just hate having to start back at single digit posting numbers again. :D

Mike

Thank you for your comments, Mike. They are appreciated and it helps to get the perspective from someone who is new to this site, but not photo forums in general.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back