Posting my first photo

Somebird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to the forum but I have been into photography for about 6 yrs. I thought i would post and see what you guys thought. I took this recently for my photo class.

MeGlenn_smaller.jpg

I like the photo, but in this section you are supposed to ask for specific critique regarding composition, lighting, etc. :) I like the composition though and the shadows create a neat effect! Anything specific you need?

I think the crop works fine, However, i think a deeper depth of Field (DOF) was needed here. it seems to me as if parts of his face are out of focus.

also some parts of his face could do with a little bit of burning. Other then that, I am quite a fan of this type of composition and i often do it myself

the composition is fine, if a little cliche. The problem is exposure and focus and DOF. Not enough of his face is in focus, none of it is very sharp actually. And the snake or lizard or whatever it is is too dark and seems to be a trivial part of the image, why is it there i ask??
hope that helps

I'm not sure about what you are saying here. Is it a portrait or is it an allegorical image? [Composition and lighting are OK.]

You should come away from a fine portrait knowing something about the person. I believe you could have said more about this man by using a casually-tied scarf rather than by using a reptile.

If, on the other hand, you were alluding to the serpent as an embodiment of evil, the expression on the man's face could have been somewhat more sinister. Dropping the height of the main light would assist in this.

If the gentleman is willing, go back and re-shoot to better make your statement.

One final thought:

If I were working with a b&w negative of this print, I'd consider making up a softener from a piece of sheer nylon stocking stretched over a hole in a piece of cardboard. Then, I'd cut a small hole in the stocking. Using this device, I'd soften the portrait somewhat -- while leaving the eye razor sharp.

The DOF is a problem for me. I didn't even notice the reptile untile I read the others posts. Just that little blur made it register to me as part of the collar or something. I kind of like the image other than that.

Nice picture! Compositon is fine but it almost makes me expect something in the dark left side of the image, or even some kind of texture....

Most reactions

Back