Posting one at a time now ! :) LIFESTYLE SHOT

therealworld28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
PSEdit.jpg

i like the shot...... but is there any reason you want this to be critiqued?.... please read the guidlines for posting in the critique section..... if you want you can add your questions regarding your image..... but if you just want general feedback it will be moved to the general or portrait gallery. ;)

Oh woops...yes there is reason...I am applying for a position at a modeling agency as their amatuer photographer..photographing the child models for their portfolio...the owner of the agency requested I take a test shoot for a lifestyle shot so I wanted to get some critique on it before I brought it in.

Your shot might be a little too soft and the composition may be in question. For this shot, try placing her in the right 1/3 area of the image (her back closer to the right frame). And try posing her at the near edge of the walkway and compose the near edge originating from the lower-left corner and extending somewhat diagonally to her feet.

My comment is only a suggestion for an alternative shot in addition to your original rather than instead of your original.

The DOF is nice and does a nice job of isolating the subject from the background. But it doesn't hide the busy clutter in the background

Cheers
MJ

when I thought of other ways to shoot this, i thought, her head turned over her shoulder, smiling at the camera in the far right of the frame, with the umbrella pointed opposite of the direction of her face filling up the rest of the frame, so the out of focus umbrella wires point to her head. all in a very tight crop. does that make sense?

In the context you've given, this isn't really a lifestyle shot. To quote:

"[SIZE=-1]Lifestyle is a way of living based on identifiable patterns of behaviour based on an individual’s choice, influenced by the individual’s personal characteristics, their social interactions, and socioeconomic and environmental factors."

There's no context to this shot identifying it as being representative of the subject's lifestyle. It's also, no offense, a bit sloppy with the grey thing centre left drawing the eye and the slightly awkward leg.

What I'd be looking for, when asking a photographer to present me with a lifestyle shot; is an intimate understanding and sympathy with the subject and their environment. For a kid, put her in a playground, school, party or some other event and lend weight to the shot with a message about the background. "Girl in park with red umbrella" isn't lifestyle.

Sorry, I must need another coffee, but hopefully this is helpful?

Rob
[/SIZE]

Hey Rob,

That's alright..I can take it :)

I'm brand new at this and I kinda looked at samples of "lifestyle shots" at the agency I was at and none of them were in school, playground, etc settings...but I guess you kind of POINTED out what I already knew somewhere...thanks for the feedback..I'll continue shooting :)

That's cool,

By way of example to demonstrate what I meant, these are the kind of lifestyle images with context that an agency is going to want for stock or assignment:

Happy, active outdoorsy healthy pensioners:
http://www.countrycoach.com/images/lifestyle/main/h1.jpg

Success, holiday, love, happiness:
http://www.jacksonsmarine.com.au/images/lifestyle/r33_lifestyle_800.jpg

Happy, family, games:
http://www.boothstudio.com/images/photos/lifestyle/8-Tweety-kids.jpg

Education, learning:
http://origins.jpl.nasa.gov/education/images/education-kids-br.jpg

So basically what I mean is that whilst she's a perfect model for you, give it some context in the background to convey a message and match her performance to that background and you've got a winner. Technically the pictures are fine, it's just the message that bothers me.

Make any sense?

Rob

Ye..I agree..but after looking at the companys portfolio, it seems most of their "lifestyle" images are staged just playful pictures...that are full body and close up...so not sure.

You want a cool shot for her?

Get on a merry-go-round and you sit on one bit, she sits facing you, and you get it spinning nicely. Shoot with a wide-angle lens and then you'll have nice counter-point of moving blurred background, (hopefully) smiling laughing girl and a context.

That's one silly (cliched?) idea I came up with... but the opportunities are endless!

Rob

i'd stop having her look directly at the camera.

if she has an umbrella, it should be raining. if she's sitting on the steps, perhaps she should be more reclined and drinking a soda, or perhaps talking to a friend. the point being that it comes across staged when the model is looking directly at you. if you're trying to shoot glamour photos of the model, this is fine, if you're using the model as a vehicle for a message, then it's not as useful.

just my opinion as i don't do many people shots... i'm more into shooting non-humans

Thanks for the tip Meot and also Rob- idea is a bit "cliche" but I love it :) lol now I will go on a search for a merry go round~ !

I think the aim should be too encourage the subjects' reaction to the environment. I like how she is walking through the park with a red umbrella, but somehow it seems like she is not having fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back