Posting photos and rights

rob91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I didn't see this covered in the faq, nor can I find a terms of service, but by posting photos on this site - either by linking or uploading in a post - are we giving away any of our rights regarding the photos? Does ThePhotoForum or vbulletin attain any rights on our work?

I'm fairly certain, at least I hope I am, that the answer to my question is no, our rights remain intact, I would just like a clear answer before I begin posting photos.

C'mon, 19 views and nothing? I know someone here must know the answer.

I am a noob here and was wondering the same thing. I searched Copywrite and looked through it, it might help you a little...

I could be wrong but I would imagine it would go something like this:

We at thephotoforum.com respect the copyrights of artists over their work, and we do not require nor claim any copyright over material submitted to/displayed on TPF -- we have no interest in doing so. However we must require a worldwide, non-exclusive right to use and display your submission. That is to say, we must be allowed to exhibit your work in public across the Internet, but at the same time, even though you license these exhibition rights to us, you also retain those rights yourself and are free to grant similar permissions or licenses for other users or sites to exhibit the work as well.

Because of this, we must furthermore require that you are the copyright holder (i.e. creator) of the work you submit to TPF. We cannot accept any submissions which are not your creation and copyright, or which otherwise violate the copyrights held by other artists over the work in question.

TPF subscribes to the various American and International Laws on Copyright.
Copyright, unless agreed by contract, remains with the originator.
Posting your work here is not a waiver of these rights, either explicitly or implicitly.
Submitting your work in certain forums (for example The Photo Challenge) is deemed as giving TPF limited useage for purposes such as promotion but only within the confines of TPF.

TPF takes a strong line on copyright issues. That is why there is a the option to display the OTE/NotOTE tag to your name, why you can't post other people's pictures only links and why various members have been banned for playing fast and loose with copyright.

I think Chase would agree with me if I say that TPF does not seek the rights to anyone's work, nor does it wish to do so.
If, however, you still do not feel re-assured then you have the option of not posting images. No-one will hold it against you.

I didn't see this covered in the faq, nor can I find a terms of service, but by posting photos on this site - either by linking or uploading in a post - are we giving away any of our rights regarding the photos? Does ThePhotoForum or vbulletin attain any rights on our work?

I'm fairly certain, at least I hope I am, that the answer to my question is no, our rights remain intact, I would just like a clear answer before I begin posting photos.
Hertz is correct.

TPF does not attain any rights to your work, and certainly vB doesn't. What we cover in the FAQ's is this:

* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.

We haven't touched on clarifying that we claim no rights to our members' work. We have none. You may post your images here as often or as seldom as you wish.

That is to say, we must be allowed to exhibit your work in public across the Internet, but at the same time, even though you license these exhibition rights to us, you also retain those rights yourself and are free to grant similar permissions or licenses for other users or sites to exhibit the work as well.
A bit over the top, Battou, since there is no issue of members needing to "license" anything to TPF. ;) This is a free - and public - photography site, so the member must assume responsibility for his decision to post his material here, which in turn means he assumes the risk that he may discover his images have been lifted from TPF and posted elsewhere, with no proper credit given him.

But that is a separate issue.

A bit over the top, Battou, since there is no issue of members needing to "license" anything to TPF. ;) This is a free - and public - photography site, so the member must assume responsibility for his decision to post his material here, which in turn means he assumes the risk that he may discover his images have been lifted from TPF and posted elsewhere, with no proper credit given him.

But that is a separate issue.

I tend to go over the top from time to time. I was just trying to be of some use and went with what I know based on what I have seen. Jusy wanted to give an answer to a dayold question as best I could :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back