Posting Photos on Facebook...Bad Idea?

Really? Are your photos that good?

I find it funny to think that someone would take a photo off Facebook with that horrible compression, and small size, and try and do anything with it. It's even funnier to me that someone would be so worried about it. Like there is a black market where people are going to sell 6x8's of other peoples work, stolen from FB.

Very true. Not sure why people never figure that out. Fear is the mind killer!!!!! Just get your work out there!!!!!

Love & Bass

Sooooo... You're saying it's safe to do no watermarks nothing........:confused:?

They are probably better than most of the crap on facebook. More over they would be better than a lot of the crap on flickr.

That didn't stop Virgin using someone's photos in a marketing campaign.

I'm sure a crap photo of your friend drunk on facebook will attract no one until a marketing company is looking for a photo of 2 drunks and think hmmm facebook will sell us that. Being a crap photographer is not a shield from misuse of your images.

It is not a shield buy come on.... How long will you go sheltering yourself before you actually get out there?

I do upload my photos on facebook however I do put a large watermark on them.

I find it funny to think that someone would take a photo off Facebook with that horrible compression, and small size, and try and do anything with it. It's even funnier to me that someone would be so worried about it. Like there is a black market where people are going to sell 6x8's of other peoples work, stolen from FB.

Very true. Not sure why people never figure that out. Fear is the mind killer!!!!! Just get your work out there!!!!!

Love & Bass

Sooooo... You're saying it's safe to do no watermarks nothing........:confused:?

I am saying that nothing is safe. If someone wants to steal your image they will. Of course taking the standard precautions is a good idea.

The idea is to get your work out there. I believe there should never be these questions of image theft. Now when you are shooting for clients more drastic measures need to be taken. Such as password protected galleries.

Love & Bass

Exactly! As photographers and especially if you are new to the art; we must always be shooting. Equally important is getting our work out there for feedback and or viewing.

Love & Bass

I only post really low res photos on Faceplant and forums.
I had my photos lifted from TPFs gallery.

Personally, I don't post stuff I care about on facebook.

here's why
"For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

As I said, standard fare for social networking websites. It's so they can use the darn thing. Their rights are revoked if you remove the image (as explained later in the ToS).

Facebook has a builtin thing that pulls in data from your flickr account. That way you can have flickr photos accessible from facebook, and even show up in your announcements, while not being subjected to facebook tos.

Where?

Dont know about Flicker, but I use something similar with Photobucket.

I've never gone to a Facebook page. Don't intend to either.

However, the other day I heard an interview where they were saying that if Facebook were a country, it would be the 4th largest in the world with over 250M members.

I've never gone to a Facebook page. Don't intend to either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back