posting your work on your website

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by SteffJay, Feb 23, 2012.

1. SteffJay

SteffJay TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey,

I have a photography website that I'm in the middle of updating. It's my business website, and I want to put up pictures from a party that I was hired to shoot a little while back. What I'm wondering is, am I allowed to post photos that I took of kids at this party? Or would I need a consent form to do it? I'm a little unsure on the ettiquette here.

Thanks.

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    When it doubt about a legal matter, consult your lawyer. This is the sort of thing that should be specified in your contract...

3. SteffJay

SteffJay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    verbal agreement. no contract. probably should start having those...

4. AnnMo

AnnMo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you shot it then its your photo and as long as you aren't earning money off the photos then you can post them in your online portfolio, aka a website. If they have a problem with it they can ask you to remove them and you can if you want to be nice. I put a couple photos from many of my shoots on my website and I don't really think theres anything legal they can do about it unless you're earning money, like with stock photos, in that case you need a model release.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

5. SteffJay

SteffJay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you AnnMo! I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure.

6. AnnMo

AnnMo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As far as I know that is the case and my professor told me it was too...so if I'm wrong someone correct me, but I don't think I am? :)

7. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it wasn't written, it never happened. In my contracts it says that I'll use the images for my publicity purposes. My clients have an option to opt my placing image on the web and it is a courtesy that I extent to them as they booked me to shoot their job.

8. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If only it were that simple.

From Dan Heller's - A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases: Making the Best Business Decisions with Your Photos of People, Places and Things
    Dan goes on to point out that there are other factors that must also be considered:

A bit further along Dan notes:
    If you were paid to shoot the party, you would be well advised to have properly executed model releases for any photos of people you put online, adults or children. Parents have to sign a release for their minor children.

If you have a photography business, it is definately in your best interests to be better informed about copyright and model/property release legalities the can negatively effect the profitability of your business.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. MReid

MReid TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In my own case, I would never post a kids photo without specific permission from the parent. Legal or not, to me that is the right thing.

To go one step further, I never post any photos of children on my site. Not saying this is right for everyone.

If you business is photographing kids then you should get permission from the parents if you want to post shots of their kids.

10. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Legal Advice on the Internetz.... like anything else one gets what they pay for [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The issue over photos of kids has gotten so out of hand it has become laughable.

12. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I was in a similar situation when I photographed a local Elementary School's "Father/Daughter Valentine" dance. My solution, since the school wanted individual portraits anyway, was to have each dad sign a list-formatted model release. This served two purposes, 1) it allowed me to keep the photos in order and matched to names for delivery, and 2) it allowed me the "CYA" leeway to shoot candids throughout the night during the actual dance.

The school was happy, the photos are online and even shared via Facebook, and the parents knew upfront what would happen. Nobody had a problem with it.

I think that's the key, as long as people are informed up front, you avoid any issues. This may not help you for THIS situation, since it's passed, but next time...hopefully the suggestion is useful.