potential blunder?

DavidElliot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so this may be a silly error on my part, but when i was rewinding a roll of film in my pentax p3 for the first time, i noticed that it was incredibly hard to rewind it and it felt like there was a lot of resistance and would make this loud winding noise. at first i thought maybe i was turning it the wrong way, but i double checked and figured that something else must be the problem. after i finished rewinding it back into the catridge, i opened it up and noticed that there were negative flakes on the bottom of the camera and all over the pressure plate.

is this is normal or did i possibly load the film in improperly? hopefully it's not something serious like a faulty camera? i'm sure it has to be some sort of error on my part. has anyone ever dealt with this before?

Yup, blunder. Whilst not a common one, folks new to 35mm film do it sometimes.

35mm cameras usually have a small button on the bottom which releases or un-couples the film wind mechanism so that you can rewind the film back into the cassette. Your P3 is not an exception.

You did not press and hold the button whilst rewinding. Thus, the film winding mechanism was still engaged, the sprocket spool [the one with 'teeth',] did not turn and you shredded the film along the sprocket hole edges.

Rx includes two steps:

1. Carefully remove all film particles from the inside of the camera.

2. Go to the following site, download the camera manual, read it thoroughly [PM me if you have any questions,] and consider the request of Mr. Butkus, the guy who provides this very valuable camera instruction site.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_p3/pentax_p3.htm

Th - th -tha - that's all, folks!

Consider your self luckey, Nine out of ten people loose the roll of film they do that to as well, usually it separates from the cassette and stayes in the camera.

Most reactions

Back