Potential employers

photong

Typo Queen
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
[font=&quot]Do you ever worry when you apply for a job (i.e. photography) they will look you up on the Internet and try to find our more about you? And when they do, they use that to judge you for the job position.

I do.

I recently applied for a job, I haven't heard anything, and I don't know if they've tried to do this. If he even has the time because he probably has a lot of applicants.

Damn I want this job. I need it too. Today (unless they repost it) is the last day for this job posting. I applied for it like the first or second day it was up, a couple weeks ago. It's been a long two weeks. Right now I would say it's the best thing for me right now and it's really difficult to find this type of job (photographer's assistant) especially in the field (general photo, especially involving commercial) I want.

I also feel maybe I'm being discriminated because I'm from WAY out of town. Or perhaps because I called to see if they got the email and the guy who answered couldn't tell me anything (he knew nothing apparently). After that the ad was updated saying anyone who calls the studio will not have their resume considered. ****. I didn't leave a name, so I hope they don't have caller ID *sigh*

He has plenty of students from the colleges in that city to choose from, why would be want me? I graduated two years ago. I spent 1.5 years working my butt off to pay my student loan and now saving up and since then looking for a photo job with no real luck. I deserve this too. I knew it would be difficult, but damn, no one said anything about it being difficult to find a photographer to assist for (they just talked about how the market is poor and starting a business is bad)

Thanks for letting me vent!

Edit: P.s. Is it weird I spent a few minutes on and off today staring at his creepy picture on his website trying to get my name in his head to get him to hire me?

Fell free to move this to the Gen Photo Q&A if you believe it belongs there only. I figure I'd get a better response here.[/font]

Sounds like they must've gotten a lot of people applying to the position... and it sounds like a lot of people haven't heard anything yet - like yourself. I reckon that's the case because they put that extra thing in the ad. Maybe lots of people applied and they still haven't heard anything so they did the same as you and called.
Being out of town can be a bit of a disadvantage sometimes. Is it a big company? They might even have a special 'commitment to locals' section in their employment thingy. Happened to a friend of mine, he kept applying for a place but they wouldn't take him eventhough he was really really good... then he moved town and got accepted straight away, turns out they only hire from their town.

You'll do fine and you'll find something in the end.

Make a little voodoo dolly and stick his head to it!!! then you can give it bubble baths and try and entice it to give you the job! Woo Hoo.... and if you don't get the job then you can stick needles in it. Might not do anything but you'll feel better!

That places sounds a bit... ****ty, to me. If they're going to show a lack of respect to you before you even get the job... nah, I wouldn't like it.
It's possible they know who they want or know the type of person they want so are just going through the motions that they have to. Don't get your hopes up too high. There is a good chance you won't get it. Not because of you as such, but because it's only one space and lots of people are going for it.
I doubt they'd look you up on the internet. It could take a while to find anything and that'd only cost them money for little or no reward.

There will always be another chance again, somewhere. It may not be right this second and it may not be what you think you want. But give things a chance and let it all happen as and when it does.
:hug::

Today (unless they repost it) is the last day for this job posting.

If they have asked for applications and provided a cut-off date of today - then you will not have heard, I'm not in the photo industry, but when i advertise - i wait until the end of the closing date, then sort the applications, as i now am able to do comparisons, looking at technical ability, experience, and matching against what I think is important to me for the applicant to be able to work in this role, as i now have all the applications - because closing date has passed.

then i can short list and invite to people for interview.

I suspect if they have had hundreds of applications and are getting 10-20 phonecalls a day, possibly the same people each day!!!! then that may be why they reacted the way they did.

He has plenty of students from the colleges in that city to choose from, why would be want me?

Rather than worring about if they search the internet - which they would not - its not worth there time. Why? Simple, once they establish you have some technical ability, then because as a photo assistant I suspect like most jobs it will be decided on personality and the ability to work in a team and get on with whoever, you are to be assisting

You have asked the question, why would they want me? now you need to answer that and be able to differentiate yourself from the crowd, you described is available to them.

Good luck

And as said before – they may already have the person and just be going through the motions, but for you its good experience on getting a CV together and think about positively why you and not negatively about !why me!

Yeah, I'm sure I'm not the only person who called. I called that Monday ONLY to see if they got the email (because if they didn't I would be very angry)

I was trying to think if there's a way I could call and find out without being me. Somehow sneaking around etc. I didn't come up with anything :(

I don't think it's a large company. I do however know he's very accomplished and is THE GUY to go to for commercial in that city.

then he moved town and got accepted straight away, turns out they only hire from their town.

:shock: crap.

then you can give it bubble baths and try and entice it to give you the job!

lmao. I can show him my film chamber.

ferny said:
:) :hug:: :)

etaf said:
If they have asked for applications and provided a cut-off date of today - then you will not have heard, I'm not in the photo industry, but when i advertise - i wait until the end of the closing date, then sort the applications, as i now am able to do comparisons, looking at technical ability, experience, and matching against what I think is important to me for the applicant to be able to work in this role, as i now have all the applications - because closing date has passed.

I understand. And I know. That's why I'm not going to hope for much until today (and all this week). However, it is possible he made his choice already. I can't help to think, I could have done more....like move to that city.

I hope he finds someone good, and not some just graduated 2 year old acitng punk kid.

If you don't get it, don't be affraid to ask why. They may say "sod off", they may help you. Either way you have nothing to lose.

Good idea, I'm going to do that ferny. Question is...when? I think I should wait until Friday. I would think a decision would be made by then. If I called now, he may be annoyed.

When you cal him - remember 1st impressions - he may not have finished the selection process and your phone call may help him decide on you...
so dont go there negative assuming you do not have the job
also remember this will give him an idea of your telephone manner and how you will come across to his customers.
i know its difficult, but do not go assuming anything

Ha. The job ad was reported today. So either he enver got my email, or didn't like me. it's up until the 17th (or they pull it down). I'm not applying right away and the email I send will be simple, and I am sending it to BOTH his email addresses this time since the one in the ad is slightly different from his website.

strange - are you able to put a read receipt on the email - I;m not sure a bout this option

I never heard about that. I always wondered if there was a way I could tell if someone got an email (opened/read it).

i know you can on outlook - if you are on an exchange server
but not sure how it works across the webmails
when you creat the mail - you have options and can request a read receipt, del, etc

Most reactions

New Topics

Back