POTM

woodsac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.around395.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Photo of the month is a great concept and way of displaying some the wonderful works posted here every month. But for so long now, has lacked in participation. Both nominations and votes.

Any way to indicate on a persons photo that it was nominated for POTM? That way, it would help eliminate duplicates, and also remind users about the monthly contest.

May not be practical, just throwing it out there. Happy New Year TPF!

/\ that gets my vote

I dunno ... while I would love it if one of my photos got nominated and then got something special put on it, threads move so quickly on this site that the picture is soon gone to page 2341 and no one would look at it anyway.

What about something next to the person's name, under their avatar, or something like that?

threads move so quickly on this site that the picture is soon gone
Very good point! The other problem I see with it being on a picture itself, is that someone might be under the impression that the photo was a current nomination (if they didn't look at the post date).

astrostu said:
What about something next to the person's name, under their avatar, or something like that?
This seems like a good suggestion. Just something simple like a star or icon of some sorts? But the more I think about it, the more complicated it seems. Someone would have to be responsible for applying, and then removing the symbol each month.

May be harder than it sounds :er:

how about under each avatar it says

Have you nominated / voted in POTM?

I like "My photo is currently up for POTW! Click here to see!" Or something along those lines, but having something under everyones name seems like it might clog up the interface a bit! Simple is good in my mind, so I would suggest just nominees.

I like "My photo is currently up for POTW! Click here to see!" Or something along those lines, but having something under everyones name seems like it might clog up the interface a bit! Simple is good in my mind, so I would suggest just nominees.

I agree with this as well. It kinda sorta worked with the Member of the week. What about when the voting starts, is there any way to send a mass PM to all the say.."active" members, stating that the potm voting has started. Not sure if this feature is available to the mods or not, but not everyone visits those parts of the forum. Just a quick thought. :)

I have noticed on this cooking site that they have special award icons. So if you win something or got recognition for something it would go with your name. If people saw, let's say "Nov 2006 POTM award winner" under their name... it might encouarage them to participate more so that they can have something special like that too.

POTM is a very informal, member-driven contest that is purely meant for fun and as another way to salute the work of members you admire.

I would agree that using the member's signature area would be an easy way to put in a note for the winners as well as current nominees. You're much more likely to track these things when you see yourself nominated and, by all means you are encouraged to spread the word about the contest in this manner.

Now something that might be easier to implement would be an exclusive "POTM Gallery" containing all the winners, and that way the images would be easy to view. Said Gallery would only be accessible by TPF staff, of course. ;)

In fact, we should probably have one for the TPF Challenge winners, as well, I believe Twist has recently rounded up all those images. Those Galleries could be up there in the contest forum.

Thoughts on this?

I think that's a great idea, Terri. I wasn't neglecting the TPF Challenge, but it seems like it gets a lot more attention...because it's prize driven.

Either way, I think being able to see the winners from both catagories in a single gallery would definitely remind people about both competitions.

That's why we love you around here...you're the smart and pretty one ;)

I think that's a great idea, Terri. I wasn't neglecting the TPF Challenge, but it seems like it gets a lot more attention...because it's prize driven.

Either way, I think being able to see the winners from both catagories in a single gallery would definitely remind people about both competitions.

That's why we love you around here...you're the smart and pretty one ;)
kissup! :lol:

We need Arch's input here; he has it figured out, I'm thinking. :)

good suggestions people.... thanks.

POTM is now a prize winning contest... and displays the very best work that our TPF members have posted over any given month. So i like the idea of having a winners page.... with maybe a link to it from the front page... this way it is easy for people to see the quality of photog that appears on TPF.
Having an 'award' icon is perhaps a little more difficult to implement... but im happy for people to add a 'winner of POTM' link to thier sigs (like in mine!!)...

Since i took over POTM i have archived every months nominations and winners, so they are there for people to view at any time.... but i will certainly look into making a seperate thread for say the last 6 months winners.... and then do one every 6 months.... that could work ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back