Potrait flash cards ?

shortduck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So,

I am hobbyist and do photography mostly with friends and family.

I am literately bored taking same portrait sty pics.

Is there a pack of cards with different poses of women/men/couples, so that I can show them and ask to pose like in the flash card ?

I hope my question is clear, please ask me any question.

Yes, there is one. Not cards, per se, but a collection of different poses all on one page.

Keep searching. What I did was screen copy about a third at a time because it won't all fit on one page.

Or, better yet, get hold of some books on composition theory, especially stuff relating to painting; old masters in particular. Understanding poses and composition is MUCH better than just parroting someone else's idea.

Or, better yet, get hold of some books on composition theory, especially stuff relating to painting; old masters in particular. Understanding poses and composition is MUCH better than just parroting someone else's idea.

John, technically both are "parroting" someone else's idea. You learn by following someone else to train your eye and brain to know what you are doing. Today you may not know why you like that pose but as you learn, you will start to know the why's.

Yes, there are posing guides. Perhaps you can search YouTube for some videos . There is an excellent video or two about formal portraiture and discusses such things as the masculine pose, and the feminine pose, and how to pose a husband and wife to make it appear that they are not brother and sister, but a married couple. over the centuries, as was referenced above, the visual language was codified. There are many people who want to work in a visual medium, but are unwilling to put in the time and effort required to learn the visual language, which was begun not in the Renaissance, but by the ancient Greeks

Last edited:
It's really up to you. There are quite a few posing guides printed out, and for sale available at various locations on the World Wide Web

John, technically both are "parroting" someone else's idea. You learn by following someone else to train your eye and brain to know what you are doing. Today you may not know why you like that pose but as you learn, you will start to know the why's.
Fair point, but by actually learning the theory behind why we generally pose women this way or men this way, etc, you can move away from relying on cheat sheet and develop your own poses.

This is, IMO, another problem with the modern photographic era; people forget, aren't aware, or can't be bothered to actually learn the elemental concepts. Not long ago I was working a charity event with another photographer, she's well established, and has a good business, and has been around for quite a while. We were setting up to do portraits and I asked her if she planned on going with short or broad lighting as her default... she looked at me like I'd just asked her for the chemical formula for unobtainium and had NO clue what I was asking.

Sure you can get away with pulling out a pose card and saying to the client, "Do this", but like a lot of things, it's sooo much easier when you understand WHY you're doing it.

There are multiple books on the subject and even one I came across a while back on teaching models how to pose for the camera.
(opposite direction).

The long and short is that it is an intuitive aspect and takes a bit of skill and practice to get.
Remember, most folks are not int he world of modeling so have no clue what it is they want or how it will turn out.

There are multiple books, videos, articles out there you can from them. You can experiment with some things yourself. Watch other photographers how they are doing and learn from them. Modeling magazines can give you some ideas.
Try to understand the principals, not just the tactics and strategies.

I'll go with @tirediron and @Derrel on this. In real life, people don't always match up with a pose example. Knowing the theory behind and practice will allow you to get the appropriate pose for your subject. There's nothing wrong with using posing guides for ideas and to get you started so long as you don't become dependant on them. One thing I've always had difficulty with is communicating a pose to a subject. In those situations I've found a picture of a pose helpful in getting them to a point that I can adjust from there.

My granddaughter is a natural. I'm amazed at her ability to pose artfully, and without any suggestion from me.

There are many apps both for iOS and Android, take a look among them.
I did never use one, I can't suggest you which one to install.

This is like exactly what Pinterest is for...

The problem with Pinterest is that posses are not divided into categories, you might have to scroll many photos which are not what you are looking for before to find what you need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back