PP'd images not looking the same in other editors.

mpasq66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I d/l several trials of software, one being lightroom. So just messing around and trying to teach myself on some "scrap" shots, I get them looking fairly decent and save/export. I open it back up in a viewing type program, Irfanview in this case, and the pics look horrible, all over saturated/sharpened/etc. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Colour Space

Over-saturation doesn't sound like a colourspace issue to me. It's more common to see darkened, desaturated colours when one, say, exports to ProPhoto RGB or Adobe RGB and then view in sRGB.

What format are you exporting the images in, and what export settings are you using? There's an option in Lightroom to add output sharpening, which may be what's making your images look over-sharpened.

3748602672_e8303a2ca3_o.jpg
Yes, I'm reading up on c.s. now, but here's my example:

Right done in L.s., opened up in Irfanview on left.

Ok, so I understand that some programs are working with differing colorspaces (RGB, Adobe RGB, sRGB, et al.)
My next question is where in L.R. can I set it to work in the correct colorspace for the most general usages?

Does that make sense?

Edit: Ok, I see now the colorspace settings on export:
Adobe RGB, sRGB, and ProPhotoRGB. Which one I'm "supposed" to be using, is where I am hanging.
THere is also a drop down in the "file type" box of jpeg, tiff, psd, original,etc.

If I select "original" I get my edited photo outputted correctly, but it's lost it's vignette.

(ETA: I'm working from a jpeg to a jpeg)
sRGB gives me the same result.

Last edited:
output in sRGB:
3747906869_f638a77c67.jpg

Output as "original":
3747939383_49d8bc79ee.jpg

Both lost the vignette.

Last edited:
No. Lightroom's default working colour space is ProPhoto RGB and there's no reason to change that. (As it stands, ProPhoto is the best colour space to be working in to preserve colour information.)

This may be an issue that you're exporting in ProPhoto RGB. Make sure that you are exporting to sRGB.

Did you originally shoot this in JPEG in sRGB? And you shouldn't be losing the vignette when exporting. o_O

No. Lightroom's default working colour space is ProPhoto RGB and there's no reason to change that. (As it stands, ProPhoto is the best colour space to be working in to preserve colour information.)

This may be an issue that you're exporting in ProPhoto RGB. Make sure that you are exporting to sRGB.

Did you originally shoot this in JPEG in sRGB? And you shouldn't be losing the vignette when exporting. o_O

Yes, camera (Rebel XS) shoots in sRGB, so my exporting should be done in sRGB, correct?

Ok, shot in sRGB, small pp in LR gives me this:
3748822892_ea328e2326.jpg

Re-opening the exported file with Irfanview gives me:
3748035153_4ee82e3ec5.jpg

If you're not shooting in RAW, and only using sRGB: First, you should shoot RAW. Then you'll be able to take advantage of Lightroom's abilities to their fullest extent. Second, yes, all your exporting should be done in sRGB.

Perhaps the problem is with Infranview? I've never used it so I can't say. But the first shot there looks correct, whereas the second is blow-out or brightened to the point of absurdity. o_O

Most reactions

Back