PPI problem

KAmbrose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, Im not only new to this forum Im also new with photography. But im learnign as I go as best as I can. Im entering into a photography contest for a magazine and Ill be honest for the last 2 months Ive been staring at the rules almost cross eyed because I simply dont udnerstand any of it lol. I foiund most of my answers thru trial and error and others by asking around. But now im officially stuck.

The rules say High Res (400 ppi) TIFF images, measuring 20 inches on the longest side.

Well I converted my Jpegs to TIFFs (easy), with Photoshop Elements 5.0. But im looking at the bar near the bottom of the program and it says:

10.24 inches x 7.68 inches (300 ppi). THeres a thing where you can edit the image size and PPI. I changed it to 20 inches x 26 inches (400PPI) but it looked.. weird. I dont maybe its because im looking at it on my computer screen and its magnified? What do you think? Sorry long winded I know, just trying to give the facts.

Anyway is an image thats 20 inches on the longest side and 400 PPI unheard of? Or is that a usual formula? If anyone can answer this.. SOON it'd be appreciated... If you even understand what Im asking lol. Sorry, again.

Well from the little knowledge I have I know that by doing what you did you stretched the image. Is the photo you edited a full size image straight from the camera? If so your camera probably isn't good enough. What are you using?

what is the maximum pixels your camera does?

if it does for example 4000 pixels on the longest side, then that is 4000 pixels per 20 inches if you print it with 20 inches on the longest side.

4000 pixels per 20 inches translates into a pixel density of 4000/20=200 pixels per inch. only very few digital SLRs produce such a pixel resolution, not to talk of twice the number (400ppi with 20 inches).

you need either to shoot with a medium format camera with a digital back (expensive: 15000 USD minimum), or you need to scan medium format film, or you need to upscale.

in any case the requirements set by that magazine appear ridiculous to me.

But maybe I did the maths wrong since it is pretty late over here and the wine has taken its toll ;)

StreetShark:

Yea it was a full sized image. i have my camera on the highest setting it will go which is at 3072 x 2304. I definetly dont have a "professional" camera. Just something I bought to start out with. Its an Olympus.

Alex:

LOL. Okay yea Im not sure about the whole PPI thing. I read an e-book on it and that confused me even more. But if it really does sound ridiculous to you that they set those standards then maybe im not a big dummy after all haha.

I dont know what to do. Maybe I should just send them in the way they are. Ive been fretting and stressing and working on this for awhile now. Tomorrow is THE day to send them out. So its this or nothing at all. I had to also do a low res 72 PPI JPEG format. But thats done and over with. Ah well I guess Ill just send them in.

Thanks for the help guys. And for being nice (that doesnt happen often in forums). If anyone else wants to chime in, be my guest :)

400ppi and 20" is a huge file..... Are you sure this is correct? Not many cameras have resolution like this and although you can resample it seems odd they are asking for such a large file. Care to share what the mag is?

Yep it says right here lol:

Digital Images:

Low Res 72 PPI and 14 inches
High Res 400 PPI and 20 inches

Believe me Ive read this page so many times I could read it back to front, top to bottom with my eyes closed.. Its actually made me Ill to even pick this magazine up lol.

Natures Best Magazine.

The High Res images are going to be used for the final round of judging and if selected will be used for publication and or an exhibition.

DIGITAL IMAGES: Digital images should be taken with a 5+ mega-pixel digital camera set at the camera’s highest possible resolution.

• Low-resolution (72 ppi) JPEG copies of your images, measuring about 14 inches on the longest side, must be burned to a single CD or DVD and labeled

‘LOW-RES.’ These will be used for preliminary judging.
• High-resolution (400 ppi) uncompressed and unsharpened TIFF images, measuring 20 inches on the longest side, may be burned to as many CDs or
DVDs as needed for the final round of judging. TIFFs will also be used for publication and/or exhibition if selected as a winner. Include your original RAW
files, if available.​

I wonder why? 1008 pixelson the longest side for the low res image is ok. But you'll need to resample alot to get a 400ppi tif at 20" on the longest side. Resample to 8000pxon the longest edge. THat is a lot of resampling and to me will degrade the original - and another question - how do they know the tif willhave/have not been sharpened?! Seems odd too.
$25 entry!!​

I dont know. And I dont know. lol. As for the sharpening I think you can tell when you look at the file info. I was told I had to edit the file credits in Photoshop. And in photoshop, I guess you can open any file and see if its been edited and whats been edited. Damned if I know. I feel so lost.

Yeppers. $25 fee. Im assuming thats to keep only people that are serious photographers from entering. I dont know if id be perceived as serious. But I love shooting. And I love creating. And I love.. art... and nature.. etc etc. Well the heck with it. Im just gonna send em in. Whats the worst that could happen? I wont win. Whats the best that could happen? I will win. Either way, I got the experience and I got to do what i like doing... So.. thank you very much for helping me out, guys :)

Keep talking this out if you like.

Kristi

Most reactions

New Topics

Back