Practice idea.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am sure that like me, a lot of you spend plenty of time reading and watching videos to improve your photograph. Well one of the channels that I subscribe to on youtube is Adorama TV. There are a lot of good videos and teachers on there. I watched a couple from Mark Wallace recently and finally got the chance this weekend to work on the exercises that he goes over in this 2 part video set.

and

Well here are my efforts from Sunday and Today. I am not 100% happy with them but it is making me think about my lighting and what I want out of the shot.

1) Still life with glass, porcelain and greenery. This was with one light, Flashpoint eVOLV 200 with a 38" octabox.

Mark Wallace exercise-15.jpg

2) My current favorite relaxation in a bottle. 2 lights for this one. Flashpoint eVOLV 200 in the 38" octabox and the new Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X in a bounce umbrella.

lighting practice-41-Edit.jpg

Watch the video's and give it a go yourself. Go ahead and post your images below.

@ronlane had I shot the last one the level on the bottle would likely have been much lower!

@ronlane had I shot the last one the level on the bottle would likely have been much lower!

I totally understand. I just got this bottle a week or so ago, so I haven't really been in it much. I did take one for the team and empty the shot glass when I finished shooting.

Thanks for these. I find it much easier to learn when I have an objective.

Thanks for these. I find it much easier to learn when I have an objective.

You are welcome. Watching these videos are one thing, doing them is another. I was able to produce images that I was happy with but with the bottle, I was having trouble finding out where one of my highlights was coming from. Still don't know but was moving lights and putting up flags like crazy, when I couldn't find it, I finally gave up and decided that I would come back and try it another day. The bottle and shot glass are, in my opinion much better than the other image.

@ronlane anytime glass is involved you almost need a totally dark room. Reflections can come from strange places

Most reactions

Back