Practicing B&W Conversion, for CnC

bunadski

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning TPF!
I just want C&Cs for my B&W conversion below, this is my first try using the Black and White adjustment layer in PS.Previous B&W conversions were done with just pressing V or shifting Saturation to the left in Lightroom.

1. Original photo
7731919912_68cea8deb8_z.jpg

2. Converted to B&W using Black and White Adjustment layer
7734480390_b46faf58e0_z.jpg

3. Image #2 with vignette. I find it more pleasing than the one above but I still want our insights for improvement.
7734479910_bf994e2bc5_z.jpg

Also, Would the B&W Adjustment layer in PS suffice for all B&W conversions or are there better approaches? Thanks!

smiley-signs154.gif

I like it best with out the vignette.

Looks pretty good. That bright doorway is distracting, but there's not much conversion can do for that. I use the adjustment layer. There are other ways, e.g., some people swear by converting from RGB to LAB color and then separating the L channel (brightness). Any book on PS will discuss a few methods.

I agree with the distracting doorway, which is actually why I put the vignette. It also made the photo gloomier, enhancing the mood, I think. But I think I just overdid it though. :(

Without the vignette looks way better.

It works better for me if I adjust the tonality in color before conversion.
IMO, there is just too many bright things that take my eye away from his face.

Thanks guys, all comments are noted. :) I am not yet familiar on how to adjust tonality before conversion to B&W, but I'll study that. :)

I would lighten the face and darken the windows (and straighten the door frame) before converting.
Perhaps a different look.
?

$7731919912_68cea8deb8_lll.jpg

Thanks Lew, I failed to notice my doorframes aren't really vertical. :) As for the edit, maybe less contrast (but more than my orig conversion) is better IMHO. Also, some patches appeared on his face, can be corrected in the PP though. :)

Most reactions

Back